Despite their pretensions, the Cultists had very little actual power. A few poorly-understood rituals, alchemy and herblore, a few cantrips, a little peasant witchery, and an urgent desire to feel effectual did not make them so.
They did have patience though – and were willing to invest what little power they DID have in attempting to rear a worthy vessel for the dark powers they worshiped.
They still didn’t do that great a job – but a lifetime of strengthening herbs, alchemical treatments, and witchery focused on a single child got them some minor results. For good or ill, however, the youngster turned out to be quite bright enough naturally to see that most of her “mentors” had no real idea of what they were up to – and to strike out on her own.
The dread powers she had been meant to serve have never really answered her, but she certainly wouldn’t have any objection to using them as well if they should happen to get their act together and start doing something.
The Pathfinder Package Deal includes +2 to an attribute, a bonus SP or HP per level the user follows a strict development plan (not included in the basic writeup), and not having to pay XP for any reasonable use of item-creation abilities.
Racial Template/Alchemically Augmented Human:
Given that the other characters for this game are all creating their own races, Whispering Songbird might as well at least spend the rest of the points available for a +0 ECL race…
- Humans get to pick which attribute enjoys the Pathfinder Template bonus – buying off a Corruption worth (4 CP).
- Bonus Feat (6 CP).
- Fast Learner, Specialized in Skills (3 CP).
- “Groomed with many rare alchemical elixirs from an early age, Whispering Songbird has gained a +1 bonus to each attribute” (18 CP).
That’s not an especially dramatic racial ability, but a slight generic edge suits this character well enough.
Base Attributes: Str 9 (-1), Dex 13 (3), Con 13 (3), Int 15 (7), Wis 13 (3), Cha 17 (13).
Net Attributes: Str 10, Dex 18 (+2 Human, +1 Level, +1 Self-Dev), Con 14, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 18
“Class” Skills: Acrobatics, Stealth, Disable Device, Seight of Hand, Climb, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Bluff, Sense Motive, Knowledge: Local, Knowledge: Nobility, Knowledge: History, Use Magic Device, Disguise, Craft, Profession, Perform, and Perception.
Available Character Points: 192 (L7 Base) +10 (Disadvantages: Hunted, Irreverent, Valuable) +30 (Human, L1, L3, L5, L7 Feats) = 232 CP
Basics (92 CP):
- Hit dice: L1d8 (4 CP), L2-7d6 (12 CP)
- Saves: +11 Total (+3 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will, 33 CP).
- BAB +3 (18 CP), +1 Specialized in Ranged Attacks, Corrupted/Crossbows Only for Triple Effect (6 CP), +1 Specialized in Melee Attacks, Corrupted/Daggers and Short Swords Only (2 CP).
- Proficient with Light Armor (3 CP) and a Small Group of Simple Weapons (Crossbows, Daggers, and Short Swords, 2 CP).
- Skill Points: 12 (CP) +30 (Int) +20 (Human Fast Learner) = 62.
Special Abilities (140 CP):
- Upgrade Human Fast Learner to +2 SP/Level (3 CP).
- Fast Learner, Specialized in Skills, Corrupted/automatically keeps Spy Block skills maxed out (4 CP).
- Master Spy/Adept (6 CP): Buys Stealth, Disguise, Bluff and Sense Motive for half cost.
- Master Thief/Adept (6 CP): Buys Climb, Disable Device, Knowledge: Local, and Sleight of Hand for half cost.
- Awareness (6 CP): Suffers no defensive penalties when surprised.
- Augmented Bonus (Expert Shot): Adds (Int Mod) to (Dex Mod) with ranged weapons, Specialized in Crossbows (3 CP).
- Augmented Attack (6 CP): +2d6 classical sneak attack.
- Augmented Attack – Silencing (6 CP)
- Evasive/Using ranged weapons in melee, Specialized and Corrupted/crossbows only (4 CP): – Do not take AoO for firing a crossbow.
- Fortune: Evasion Variant (6 CP) – as the Rogue ability
- Improved Superior Presence (18 CP) – 10′ radius, all enemies receive a -2 morale penalty to attacks against you. Improved Presence; +4 Social bonus impacts people who are receptive to her beauty, Superior Presence; Those affected by her beauty must make DC 13 + Cha mod Will saves to even attack you (they get +5 to the save if you are actively attacking them though)
- Luck with +2 Bonus Uses, Specialized for Ranged Attacks only (4 CP). Take 20 on any d20 roll with no prep, even if not normally allowed, once per day
- Luck with +2 Bonus Uses, Specialized in saving throws (4 CP).
- Skill Focus +1 (2 CP) – +1 bonus to Stealth
- Immunity/Penalties for firing into Melee (Common/Minor/Minor, Specialized/Crossbows Only, 2 CP).
- Improved Initiative +4 (6 CP)
- Action Hero/Influence Option (6 CP)
- Contacts (Occult x2, Multiple, 9 CP): Includes a king, a powerful fey, a powerful mage, a lich., and one more contact.
- Innate Enchantment (10 CP) – 9000 gp worth of effects
- Tap Inner Beauty (2000) (+2 Insight Bonus to Cha checks)
- Expeditious Retreat (2000): +30′ bonus to movement.
- Innocence (2000): +10 Competence Bonus on Bluff Checks to convince others of your innocence.
- Cultural Adaptation (2000) +2 on Diplomacy checks made to influence members of the culture to which you have adapted. You also gain a +2 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks made to pass yourself off as a member of the culture. Additionally, the DCs of enchantment (charm) spells you cast against natives of the culture to which you are attuned increase by +1.
- Resistance (700)”: +1 Resistance Bonus on Saving Throws (this one ins not already personal-only, so only 700 GP).
- Witchcraft III, (Basic Abilities: The Adamant Will, Glamour, The Hand of Shadows, Healing, The Inner Eye, Shadowweave, and Witchsight) with four Pacts – Taboos, Rituals, Souls, and Gateway. The Pacts pay for +3d6 (16) Power, The Dark Flame, the Umbral Form, and Leaping Fire. Net Power 39, Save DC (13 + Cha Mod) (18 CP).
- Companion: Falcon Familiar with the Spirit Fetch Template and Might, Corrupted/Familiar is quite independent, and tends to do it’s own thing (12 CP). Provides Occult Sense/Spirit Sense to allow the user to “see” and “hear” spirits. The bonus points from Might go to upgrading the Fetch’s Mystic Link with an Identity Link (3 CP), the Transferable Modifier (Specialized; transferring a link takes a mystic ritual with GMO requirements, 3 CP), +2 additional links (6 CP). This allows the Fetch to link with up to two other people to share and transfer spells and other magical effects as needed.
- Create Relic, Specialized and Corrupted/only usable to make one-point relics, only usable with points from Enthusiast, all relics carry a disadvantage – although this does help reduce their cost (2 CP).Coming up with an elaborate ritual and an interesting description is highly recommended, but not required.
- Double Enthusiast, Specialized and Corrupted for Triple Effect (a total of six “floating” character points)/points may only be used to create relics, relics have a maximum cost of one point and no one can use more than one at any one time.
Note that it IS possible to give one to the Fetch, and thus set up additional power-sharing links.
Iron Bolt Kung Fu (Dex)
You aim well, you remain calm, you breathe deeply – and you put relatively modest pieces of sharply pointed steel into vital points as quickly as you possibly can. You move quickly and you make yourself as elusive a target as you possibly can. Iron Bolt Kung Fu is not an elaborate style – but it’s eminently practical.
- Requires: At least +1 BAB specialized in Crossbows AND +1 BAB specialized in short blades.
- Basic Abilities: Attack 4, Defenses 2, Power 2, and Synergy Craft/Crossbow.
- Advanced and Master Techniques: Sneak Attack II, Weapon Kata/Dagger, and Rapid Shot.
- Occult Techniques: Inner Strength, Light Foot, Touch Strike, and Vanishing.
With a skill of anywhere from +14 to +17, this character can have 7 to 9 techniques. Attack III, Sneak Attack II, Weapon Kata / Dagger, and either Rapid Shot or Vanishing (or both) would be useful.
Whispering Songbird is an excellent social manipulator, possesses a variety of useful (if minor) powers, is not at all bad at sneak attacks – and can both provide her companions with useful boosts and allows them to share spells with each other. She’s no overwhelming powerhouse – but she should be welcome in practically any (evil) party.