The crystalline tendrils had extended themselves for centuries, slowly extracting minerals from the planetary crust and incorporating them into the crystalline masses own structure. Spacefields sang through strange crystals and silicon paths, crackling throughout the mass in cascades of exotic energy. Complex structures of forces unknown to humanity extended along and across the boundary with hyperspace. In that realm, the Nalthene called across the void. The consensus was broken and scattered – but the chorus would grow once more.
A human prospector detected the more mundane waste energies radiating from an outcropping of Aberrant Crystal – and attempted to collect some.
As the pick struck, the crystal sang – and an explosion of radiance drove a myriad slivers of crystal through the prospectors protective clothing and deep into her flesh. There the shards bonded with her body – and linked themselves together. For the next few centuries they would grant the prospector extended life and elemental power. But eventually any creature of flesh would fall – and where it fell, in due time, another vein of crystal might grow from their remains. For star travelers were rare, and valuable – and it was well worth imbuing one with a burst of slowly-harvested power in hopes of the seed bearing fruit on some distant world.
Crystal Infusion Template (32 CP / +1 ECL):
- Adept (Armory, Biotech, Gadgetry, Weaponry), Specialized, only to reduce the costs of skill bonuses in this template (3 CP).
- Immunity/Having her Equipment taken away (Common, Major, Major, Specialized/only applies to the “Equipment” in this template, 4 CP).
- Immunity/Running out of Ammunition (Uncommon, Major, Major, Specialized / only applies to the “weapons” in this template, 3 CP).
- Immunity / the distinction between her elemental “weapons” and unarmed combat (Common, Minor, Major, Specialized/only with respect to the Radiant Lotus style, 3 CP).
- Template Skill Bonuses:
- Armory (Crystal Infusion 12): Armor Bonus +6 (3), Athletics +8 (3), Temperature Control (1), Flight (3), +4 Str (2).
- Biotech (Crystal Enhancement 12): +5 to Bullet Time Skill (3), Anime Hair (0), Low-Light and Flash Resistant Eyes (1), Extended Lifespan (1), 30 Minute Oxygen Reserve (2), Reinforced Skeleton +4d4 HP (3), Enhanced Senses +4 (1), Water Adaption (1).
- Gadgetry (Crystal Energies 8): Flashlight/Torch II (2), Movement Detection +3 (2), Geological Awareness +3 (2), Chemical Analysis +3 (2).
- Weaponry (Crystal Channeling 6): All have variable elemental special effects, using air, water/acid, fire, earth/stone, metal, or lightning.
- Focused Bolts/Spears II: 2d10 Damage, 80′ Range Increment, Crit 20/x2, may either attempt to hit 1d4 targets with the same roll or inflict double damage (versus double DR, if any). Requires free movement to use (5).
- Unfocused Blasts/Waves II: 4d8 Damage in a 10′ Radius, 80′ Range Increment, no criticals. Requires free movement to use.
- Entrapment I: Double Entangle at +4 To Hit, 40′ Range Increment, may attempt to hit up to four targets in close proximity or to block an area up to 10 x 10. Never affects friendly targets. Requires only one hand free to use.
- Lash/Aura I: 2D12+Str Mod, 10′ Reach. Can be used even if unable to move.
- Innate “Enchantment” (+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Dex, +1 Resistance Bonus to Saves) (6 CP).
- Disadvantages: Outcast (Someone with this Template is infested with an aberrant alien life form of unknown motives and nature; there are many places where she is not welcome, -3 CP), Blocked (Someone with this Template cannot employ psychic powers, -3 CP).
Dystopian Survivor Humans (30 CP / +0 ECL). She gains the racial traits of:
- Highly Adaptable: Gain one Bonus Feat / 6 Bonus CP (6 CP).
- Birthright: Choice of +2 to an Attribute or another 12 CP ability package derived from your background. In her case, it’s a boost to her Strength.
- Quick to Learn: Fast Learner, Specialized in Skills for +2 SP/Level (Level x 2 + 6 total, 6 CP).
- Tested Immunity: After the global pandemics and pollution crises everyone who didn’t inherit this is dead. Immunity to toxins, pollutants, and disease (Common, Major, Trivial, for a +2 bonus on relevant rolls, 3 CP).
- Projectile Predator: +1 BAB, Specialized in Ranged Attacks (3 CP).
- Technological Aptitudes: Microtronic A, Biotech B, Psychic C, Informational D, Spacefield E. Humans are good with what we (of course) see as “conventional” technology, decent at biotech, average at best with psychic stuff, poor at “magic”, and basically unable to work with Spacefield Technologies.
To summarize the low-level adventurer template those affected get:
- A -3 penalty on unskilled skill checks.
- Very slow level advancement, by direct session-based character point awards rather than experience points. Succeeding in goals helps, but killing things and taking their stuff does not.
- The status of valuable trouble magnets – they’re rare and find trouble everywhere they go.
- A +3 bonus on five skills which suit their backgrounds and training. Sadly, this cannot be applied to active magical skills.
- Extra hit points equal to [12 + (2 x Con Mod)].
- Two minor special talents. In her case: she has +4 BAB in Unarmed Combat and Zero-Gravity Expertise.
Jade Alwyn, Level Two Prospector
Available Character Points: 72 (L2 Base) +12 (Racial and L1 Bonus Feats) + 10 (Disadvantages) = 94 CP.
Basic Attributes: Str 14 (18), Dex 18 (20), Int 14, Wis 10, Con 16 (18), Chr 8. Note that it the Shadowed Galaxy, you get your (Attribute – 6) skill points from each attribute to spend on skills related to each attribute. Thus a strong character will automatically know at least a few strength-based skills.
Hit Points: 24 (L1d20 + Con Mod, 16 CP) +20 (12 + 2 x Con Mod from Template) +28 (4d4 + 4 x Con Mod Crystal Infusion) +10 (L2d8 + Con Mod, 4 CP) = 82 HP.
BAB +4 (+4 Talent +2 Martial Art = +10), Specialized in Unarmed Combat (12 CP).
Saves: +2 (+8, 6 CP) Reflex, +1 (+6, 3 CP) Fortitude, +0 (+1) Will
Initiative: +5 (Dex)
Armor Class 10 (Base) +6 (Crystal Infusion) +5 (Dex) +2 (Martial Art) = 23.
Novice of Informational Manipulation:
- Improved Occult Talent, Specialized and Corrupted for Reduced Cost/all effects are cast as minor rituals requiring various components (4 CP).
- Minor Rituals: Dark Spark, Jumpstart, Power Cell, Detect “Magic”, Mending
- Notable Rituals: Generator, Unseen Servant, Goldberg.
- Power Words, Specialized and Corrupted/only to store the effects of personal minor rituals from Occult Talent(s) (2 CP). Stores up to (Con/3) Notable rituals, or twice that many minor ones, for immediate release later. (Normally Dark Spark x2, Jumpstart x2, Power Cell, Mending, Goldberg x 2, and Generator).
Adept (6 CP): May buy Bullet Time, Survival, Vehicles, and Martial Arts (Radiant Lotus Style) for half cost.
Luck with +2 Bonus Uses, Specialized in Saves (4 CP).
Luck with +2 Bonus Uses, Specialized in Skills (4 CP).
Access to the Vehicles Occult Skill (3 CP).
Access to the Arcana Occult Skill (3 CP).
Skill Focus/Vehicles (6 CP), Specialized for Increased Effect; the Vehicle requires all kinds of patches, sometimes malfunctions, is in poor repair, and has liens against it.
Skill Points: 10 (Fast Learner) +10 (Int) +27 (CP) +44 (Attributes) = 91 SP
- Acrobatics (Dex): 5 (SP) +5 (Dex) +3 (LLA) = +13 (May take 3d4 damage to pull off a normally-impossible stunt).
- Appraise (Int): +2 (Int)
- Arcana (Occult) (Int): +3 (6 SP) +2 (Int) = +5 (Bonus Minor Ritual: Aberrant Materials Testing)
- Armory (Str): +5 (2* SP)+ 4 (Str) = +9 (Extended Crystal Infusion: Energy Resistance III (10 points), Environmental/NBC Seal with Space Capability +II), Nightsight, Flash, and Hearing Protection I, Orbital Datalink III,
- Athletics (Str): +5 (SP) +3 (Str) +8 (Template) +3 (LLA) = +19 (May take 2d4 damage to pull off an impossible stunt).
- Biotech (Con): +4 (SP) +3 (Con) = +7 (Neural Interface III, Tablet II, +4 Piloting Booster II)
- Bullet Time (Con): +5 (2 SP*) +4 (Con) +5 (Template) +3 (LLA) = +17 (May temporarily expend 1/2/3 ranks to buy off 6/10/12 damage, to take 1-3 five-step steps as an immediate action (1-3), and to boost reflex saves at 1 to 1 after rolling).
- Concentration (Con): +4 (4 SP) +4 (Con) = +8
- Craft (Int): +5 (SP) +2 (Int) = +7 (Applies to Metalworking, Glassworking, Plastics, Electrical Machinery, and Starship Parts).
- Deception (Cha):
- Engineering (Int): 5 (SP) +2 (Int) = +7 (Carries a sleeve-grapnel and spectral analyzer).
- Erudite Focus (Int):
- Faith (Wis):
- Gadgetry (Int): 5 (SP) +2 (Int) = +7 (Augmented Crystal Powers/Kinetic Manipulator II (Str+2 at 20′ range on “elemental materials”), Lightning Redirector III), Memory-Metal Multitool II.
- Heal (Wis): +2 (SP) +0 (Wis) = +2
- Idiotic Technology (Occult) (Wis):
- Linguistics (Int): +3 (SP) +2 (Int) = +5
- Local Knowledge +2 (Int):
- Logistics (Chr): +5 (5 SP) -1 (Cha) = +4 (Explosives Stockpile II, Spare Parts II).
- Martial Art (Radiant Lotus Style, Dex): +5 (2 SP*) +5 (Dex) +3 (LLA) = +13
- Martial Art Techniques (7): Attack +2, Defenses +2, Instant Stand, Combat Reflexes, and Mind Like Moon.
- Minions (Occult) Cha):
- Narrative (Occult) (Cha):
- Networking (Cha): +2 (SP) -1 (Cha) = +1
- Perception (Wis): 5 (SP) +0 (Wis) = +5
- Perform (Cha):
- Persuasion (Cha):
- Profession/Prospector +5 (SP): +0 (Wis) = +5
- Religion (Occult) (Int):
- Scholar (Int):
- Sensitive (Wis): +0 (Wis)
- Socialize (Wis):
- Stealing the Scene (Occult) (Con):
- Stealth (Dex): 5 SP + 5 (Dex) = +10
- Survival (Int): +5 (2 SP*) +2 (Int) = +7
- Thievery (Dex*): +1 (SP) = +1
- Tough It Out (Str): +5 (SP) +4 (Str) = +9 (May temporarily sacrifice points to ignore Conditions, to buy off attribute damage or drain, and to boost fortitude saves after rolling).
- Vehicles (Occult) (Wis): +5 (4 SP*) +3 (LLA) +3 (Skill Focus). Skill Focus and Basic Points Specialized for Double Effect – needs all kinds of repairs, has a lien, and owes money. = +19
- The Golden Rowan (Class II Interstellar Prospector): Superior (II) Speed, Average (I) Maneuver, Inferior (-) Weapons, Size/Cargo Average (I), Long Term Space Life Support (III), Communications II (Long-range multi-channel transmit and receive with some signal processing), Sensors (Radar, Navigation, Surface Scans) III, Subspace Backup Drive (I), Emergency Hibernation Systems (I), Minerals Processing System II, Comfortable Crew Quarters (I), Secure Storage Areas (I).
- Weaponry (Dex): 2 (SP) +5 (Dex) = +7 (Augmented Crystal Infusion: Ultraflare (II), Spacefield Disruption Blast (III), Focused Flame (Usable as a welding torch, etc)) (II).
+3 Specialties (4 SP): Vehicles/Piloting/Class-II Interstellar Prospectors, Local Knowledge / Bars and similar hangouts, Engineering/Starship, and Perception/Spot Valuable Minerals.