Gothmug Pyroclast, Lord of the Baalgrogs, He Who Calls Stones to Weep, Second Soul of Aden.
Gothmug, Lord of the Baalgrogs, is an object lesson in “why you should not shape reality while extremely fatigued”. You too might wind up with a bunch of Emo Goth Viking Balrogs wearing elegant black fur cloaks over quasi-Edwardian fashions, formal black horned helmets, battle axes, and dark and/or pale makeup as they cruise the waters of your world-body in their long black ships and flaming auras visiting halfling bars, playing gloomy music, and reciting depressing poetry (Gothmug in person is INCREDIBLY good at this) while they drink up all the beer.
The Baalgrogs in general are roughly equivalent to Celestial Lions – albeit Celestial Lions equipped with Behemoth Cloaks, Grand Grimcleavers (with an added “M” tag), and Dancing Dragon Rings. They serve much the same purpose as the Celestial Lions – policing Aden, helping out it’s residents, and (if necessary) serving as it’s (rather small) army. They’re actually quite friendly and helpful; it’s just that it’s a bit like having a cross between Eeyore and one of those raptors from Jurassic Park helping you out while telling you about how gloomy the world is.
As for Gothmug himself…
- Thaumaturgic Specialty: Attack (+6 Automatic Successes).
- Motivation: Protect and Assist Charles / Aden, Adhere to – and promote – Goth Stereotypes.
- Attributes: Strength 22, Dexterity 16, Stamina 20, Charisma 15, Manipulation 14, Appearance 15, Perception 24, Intelligence 24, and Wits 24
- Virtues: Compassion 3, Conviction 5, Temperance 3,Valor 5.
- Abilities: Athletics 13, Awareness 13, Bureaucracy 11, Dodge 13, Integrity 13, Investigation 12, Larceny 12, Linguistics 13, Lore 13, Martial Arts 13, Occult 13, Performance 12, Presence 13, Resistance 13, Stealth 11, Socialize 10, Survival 13, War 12, all others effectively 8. Poetry +3.
Special Bonuses: +3d (Adenic Thaumaturgy) to everything, another +4d with Thaumaturgy, store four Thaumaturgies, four Terrestrial, and four Celestial Spells, may temporarily learn three spells given time to study, -2 on the target numbers of Twilight abilities, the ability to attack and parry with the Occult skill as if using a perfect weapon of choice, inherent computer services and Aden internet access. +7 automatic successes when casting spells or using thaumaturgy, +1 additional automatic success up to +20 (max) per geomantic relay available to devote to that purpose. Night Sight, Wolf-like sense of smell, May spend 2 motes to pick up 12 points worth of mutations or to revise his current selection, regenerates one level of bashing damage every third action, double ground speed, heals one level of lethal damage per hour and one level of aggravated damage every five hours, regains +40 motes per hour.
Usual Attack: Grand Grimcleaver: Speed 6, Accuracy +2 (34d), Damage 36L/4, Rate 2, Attune 0, Tags 2, 0, P, M, R.
Charms: Adenic versions of everything a Celestial Lion gets, plus Terrestrial and Celestial Circle Sorcery, several Thaumaturgy Boosters, the First Performance Excellency, and 25 additional charms.
Health Levels: 2x -0, 30x -1, 30x -2, 2x -4, Incapacitated. Suffers a maximum of two levels of damage from any effect or flurry. If slain without the use of Ghost-Eating Technique or some similar spirit-slaying attack AND exploiting his unique weakness, Gothmug will reform a day later. If he’s truly slain but the manse survives, it will simply generate a replacement in about a week.
Join Battle: 37, Dodge DV 20, Parry DV 14
Willpower 22, Essence 10, Mote Pool 300
Immunities: Unwanted Shaping, Unnatural Mental Influence, Aging, Disease, Poison, Disabling, Crippling, Bleeding, Scarring, and Environmental Effects. Need not Eat, Drink, or Breathe. May reflexively negate any Desecration or Special Martial Arts effect for two motes.
Soak: 55L/65B, Hardness 12L/12B, Ignores the first 6d of Ping damage, may completely negate any attack without cost or taking an action three times per scene.
- Uses the Advanced Thaumaturgy System.
- May select six thaumaturgical effects which are automatically sustained indefinitely. If dispelled they will re-establish themselves six ticks later. One of these is normally the good-fortune die booster, the others are up to the user.
- Gets fourteen free uses of thaumaturgy per day (ignoring the usual mote and/or willpower cost), with +3 bonus successes and a one-level reduction in the time required.
- Gets three motes to power Thaumaturgy or Sorcery with up to seven times per day. This does not count as an action; the motes are simply available when needed.
- His thaumaturgy and sorcery requires an opposed essence check to dispel with Countermagic; he gains +6d against thaumaturgy and +3d against the Terrestrial Circle, has no advantage or penalty against celestial circle countermagic or adenic countermagic thaumaturgy, and suffers a -3d penalty against solar circle countermagic. His effects are protected against “Spell Shattering Palm” and similar charms; these simply work against it like celestial-circle dispelling attempts.
- May stack one thaumaturgic effect with charms, artifacts, or other sources of power.
- Impervious to messiness; his clothing, hair, and person is always neat, clean, and well-repaired unless he wishes it otherwise.
- May generate minor lightshow effects at will, producing sparks, tiny flames, glowing lights, and even small obvious images at will within a radius of twenty feet or so.
Geomantic Powers (all usable as needed within a radius of 250 feet).
- Know The Guilty: may sense thoughts as per Invisible Theft.
- No Wrecking Up The Joint: may render selected inanimate objects and structures within range indestructible at will.
- Go And Get Them: may grant +6 bonus successes to anyone using Attack thaumaturgy within range at will.
- Go Directly to Jail; Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect 200 Motes: Gothmug may cause anyone approaching him with 250 feet to be entrapped by slabs of stone and transported elsewhere unless they escape within ten rounds (Ultra-Deadly Perimeter Defenses, 4) – but if they escape this, he cannot so affect them again for at least an hour.
- Big Baalgrog Is Watching You: As Advanced Magical Conveniences, Gothmug has a full-scale surveillance system, donut and coffee delivery, can instantly cordon off areas and put up “police line” signs, can produce appropriate police authorization for anywhere he happens to be, and can record anything his surveillance systems witness in his archives for later playback.
There are, in fact, three essentially-identical Gothmugs – allowing “him” to show up in three places at the same time. Normally, however, one will be working in Creation, one around Aden, and one will be guarding “his” manse and be standing by to project his powers though the manse Hearthstone (carried by Charles) if Charles needs his assistance.
- [Emergence Campaign] The Chronicles of Heavenly Artifice — Higher Souls (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Chronicles of Heavenly Artifice Session XL – Small Gods and Sandwiches (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Chronicles of Heavenly Artifice XLI – The Boy Scouts of Siderea (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Exalted – The Winding Way (Sidereal Manse **** or any Manse *****) (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Chronicles of Heavenly Artifice Session XXXVIII – Out of the Umbra (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Chronicles of Heavenly Artifice XXXVII – Investigating Charles Mansen (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Chronicles of Heavenly Artifice XXXIII – City and Soul (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Chronicles of Heavenly Artifice Session XXXIX – Gates of the Third Circle (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Chronicles of Heavenly Artifice Part XXVII – Hints and Allegations (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Exalted – Aden Shining Dream, the Third Circle (ruscumag.wordpress.com)