Once there was a felinoid youngster who lived in the mountain forests with his parents. There they hunted, trapped, and gathered the choicer rare herbs, spices, and dyes to make their living. As the boy grew older, he got taken along more often – and soon began to see how the merchants in town who purchased his parent’s wares and sold them supplies cheated everyone who made their living by actually producing anything. It was not long before the youngster was a youthful catman with a bad temper, a cynical streak a mile wide, a few ethics when it came to dealing with lazy, cheating, townfolk.
The local priests occasionally visited on their rounds, and tried to counsel the youngster – but while he listened eagerly to the tales of the gods, he saw their divine magnificence as all too akin to the splendor affected by the wealthy merchants in town. Sure, the gods were there – and they did some important stuff – but they too were asking quite a lot for very little service!
His creative blasphemies eventually attracted the notice of a God or two – one of whom sent a some minor troubles his way.
Watching him deal with them… was funny.
Besides… to really blaspheme, you needed to really believe – and judging by young Dante’s mouth there might not be a more believing mortal on the entire continent.
They sent some good luck and some more trouble his way – and watching him deal with it was even funnier.
The Gods had a new Jester – and his life was going to be very interesting.
Third level Weaponmaster-Scout
Pathfinder Package Deal: +2 Bonus to Dexterity.
Wildfolk Racial Modifiers:
- Self-Development/Attribute Modifiers of +2, +2, and +4 distributed between Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Wisdom and (possibly) Intelligence (for animal-morphs noted as being especially tricky or cunning) as appropriate to the animal type the Wildfolk emulates. No single attribute may be enhanced more than once. (48 CP).
- In his case, +4 Dex, +2 Str, +2 Con.
- Occult Senses/Low-Light Vision and Scent, Corrupted/the Wildfolk suffer a -2 penalty on saves against light and scent-related attacks (8 CP).
- Martial Arts/1d4 Natural Weapons (3 CP).
- Adept/Pays half price for four skills related to the animal type they emulate (6 CP).
- His are Acrobatics, Stealth, Survival, and Martial Arts (an unarmed racial style)
- +2 to each Racial Adept Skill (4 CP).
- One Bonus Feat appropriate to the emulated species (6 CP). “Prey” species often take Natural Armor, Celerity, or Augmented Bonus (to provide enhanced senses), while “Predator” species often take enhanced natural weapons or other combat boosts.
- His is Fast Learner, Specialized in Hit Dice, providing a base of 1d12 at first level and 1d6 at each level thereafter.
- Wildfolk suffer from some drawbacks as well, but for details I’ll have to refer you to the full writeup.
Available Character Points: 96 (L3 Base) +10 (Disadvantages) +6 (Duties) +12 (L1 and L2 Bonus Feats) = 124 CP
- Outcast: Dante is widely known as “That guy that weird stuff keeps happening to”, and people who want to avoid complications in their lives generally avoid him. Occasionally this turns into a Hunted for a while instead; sometimes there just isn’t any use explaining that the latest insane disaster was NOT YOUR FAULT – and people get sent after you.
- Irreverent: Dante pretty much DEFINES this one.
- Accursed: Minor, annoying, things happen when Dante swears – milk sours, windows crack, and other small annoyances pop up in the general vicinity.
- Duties: Entertain the Gods, The gods find Dante’s antics and endless blasphemies quite amusing – and keep throwing him into crazy situations, unlikely predicaments, and weird adventures so that they can watch.
Basic Attributes: Str 14 (16), Int 14, Wis 12, Con 14 (16), Dex 16 (20), Chr 8, Pathfinder 25-point buy.
Basic Abilities (54 CP):
- Hit Dice: 20 (1d20, 8 CP) + 11 (2d8, 5, 7, 4 CP) + 12 (2d6 Magic) +15 (5x Con Mod) +1 Pathfinder = 59 HP.
- BAB: +2 (12 CP)
- Fortitude: +1 (3 CP) +3 (Con) +1 (Morale) = +5
- Reflex: +2 (6 CP) +5 (Dex) +1 (Morale) = +8
- Will: +0 (0 CP) +1 (Wis) +1 (Morale) = +2
- Skill Points: 9 (9 CP) +12 (Int) +8 (Fast Learner) +1 Pathfinder = 30 SP
- Proficient with All Simple Weapons and Martial Weapons (9 CP) and Light Armor (3 CP).
- Armor Class: 10 (Base) +5 (Dex) +3 (Studded Leather) +4 (Shield) = 22
- Initiative: +5 (Dex)
Special Abilities (70 CP):
- Fast Learner, Specialized in Skills (taken at level -1, with disadvantage points) (6 CP).
- Track/Wilderness (3 CP).
- Damage Reduction 3/-, Specialized in Energy Attacks Only for Double Effect (6/-) (6 CP).
- Damage Reduction 3/-, Specialized in Physical Attacks Only for Double Effect (6/-) (6 CP).
- Grant of Aid with +4 Bonus Uses, Corrupted/requires a DC 18 Perform/Oratory/Sacrilege check (not an action), Bonus Uses Specialized in Hit Points Only (6 CP).
- Shaping, Specialized for double effect (Cantrips) and Corrupted/only for weapons magic tricks, requires a DC 18 Perform/Oratory/Sacrilege check (not an action) (4 CP).
- Opportunist/may add a weapon shaping effect to a physical attack or other weapon maneuver without it counting as an action, Corrupted/only with Swords and Bows (4 CP).
- 3d6 (12) Mana with Spell Enhancement, Specialized/only for use with weapons magic, Corrupted/requires a DC 18 Perform/Oratory/Sacrilege check (not an action), (6 CP).
- 1d6 (4) Mana with Reality Editing, Specialized/only for minor edits (mostly used to make his plans work, escape certain doom, or dispose of bodies… (3 CP).
- Rite of Chi with +4 Bonus Uses, Specialized/requires a complete recitation (Perform DC 24) of the Sixty Successive Sacrileges – although failed attempts do not count (6 CP).
- Luck with +4 Bonus Uses, Specialized in Saving Throws, Corrupted/only to Take 20 in advance (4 CP).
- Luck with +4 Bonus Uses, Specialized in Attack Checks, Corrupted/only to Take 20 in advance (4 CP).
- Luck with +4 Bonus Uses, Specialized in Skill and Attribute Checks, Corrupted/only to Take 20 in advance (4 CP).
- Reflex Training/Extra Actions Variant, Corrupted/Movement and Weapons Actions only (4 CP)
- Innate Enchantment; The Fortunate Fool. 5000 GP Value, Corrupted/requires assorted Charms and Talismans to work (4 CP)
- Force Shield I: +4 Shield Bonus to AC, Immune to Magic Missiles. Spell Level 1 x Caster Level 1 x 2000 GP Unlimited-Use Use-Activated x .7 Personal Only = 1400 GP.
- Immortal Vigor I: +12 = (2 x Con Mod) HP. Spell Level 1 x Caster Level 1 x 2000 GP Unlimited-Use Use-Activated x .7 Personal Only = 1400 GP.
- Inspiring Word: +1 Morale Bonus to Attacks, Saves, Damage, and Checks. Spell Level 1 x Caster Level 1 x 2000 GP Unlimited-Use Use-Activated x .7 Personal Only = 1400 GP.
- Healing Belt (750 GP, Magic Item Compendium): 3 Charges/Day, spend 1/2/3 to heal 2d8/3d/4d8 by touch.
- Shapesand (100 GP, Sandstorm): Change normal into any item of basic gear with a total weight of 12 lbs or less. (Dante normally wears a variety of cheap “sandstone” ornaments and a “sandstone belt” to provide a reserve to work with; making his thieves tools out of Sand on the fly makes them easy to hide from the authorities).
Skills (using the Condensed Skill List):
- Acrobatics +19 (+6(3*) SP, +3 Pathfinder +5 Dex +1 Morale +2 Racial +2 Tool)
- Kifeng (racial martial art style) +19 (+6(3*) SP, +3 Pathfinder +5 Dex +1 Morale +2 Racial +2 Tool)
- Techniques Known (10): Toughness II, Strike, Attack II, Weapon Kata (Longsword), Combat Reflexes, Battlecry, Inner Strength, Vanishing.
- Knowledge/Local +8 (2 SP +3 Pathfinder +2 Int +1 Morale)
- Knowledge/Religion +8 (2 SP +3 Pathfinder +2 Int +1 Morale)
- Perception +7 (2 SP +3 Pathfinder +2 Wis +1 Morale)
- Perform/Oratory +13 (+6 SP +3 Pathfinder -1 Cha +1 Morale +2 Tool) (+5 when Blaspheming).
- Stealth +19 (+6(3*) SP, +3 Pathfinder +5 Dex +1 Morale +2 Racial +2 Tool)
- Survival +15 (+6(3*) +3 Pathfinder +1 Wis +1 Morale +2 Racial +2 Tool)
+1 Specialities (1 SP Each, 5 total); Perform/Oratory/Blasphemy, Knowledge/Religion/Off-Color Myths, Survival/Resource Harvesting, Survival/Tracking, and Local Knowledge/Forests.
Specific Knowledge (1 SP); The Sixty Successive Sacrileges. The Successive Sacrileges start out small – blaspheming the nature spirits, kitchen gods, and similar small fry, moving on to the geographical gods and gods of aspects of life, swiping at the heavy hitters – the gods of fate, time, sky, earth, and similar major aspects of the world – then throughly chewing out the gods of major parts of life such as birth and death, making a blistering verbal assault on the divine kings and overlords, with the final sacrilege targeting the creator gods who are held responsible for the entire mess. Overall it covers “Can’t you !@#$% Gods do ANYTHING right!” with truly impressive thoroughness. This DOES offer a +2 Synergy bonus on Perform/Oratory/Blasphemy.
And may I offer a recommendation for Barry Hughart and Bridge of Birds series?
Gear: Masterwork Studded Leather Armor (175 GP), Masterwork Longsword (315 GP), Masterwork Str 16 Composite Longbow (700 GP), Boots of Landing (500 GP), Self-Heating Teapot (25 GP), Firebox (25 GP), Survival/Camping Kit (50 GP), Acrobat’s Joint Wraps (50 GP), Foresters (Stealth) Cloak (50 GP), Orator’s Throat Lozenges (50 GP), Reinforced Kaifeng Gloves (50 GP), assorted normal gear (rope, bedroll, food, oil, firestarter, water, lantern, etc) and some cash (310 GP). .
Dante is a formidable mystic weaponsmaster, if not quite on the scale of a dedicated-warrior and only in short bursts – but he is both lucky and extremely durable. Given the stuff that keeps falling into his lap, he’ll need all those qualities just to survive.