Here we have a leftover Rolemaster spell list, mostly because – if you EVER need a list of anything – Rolemaster is the place to go for it…
While it may be a bit over-convenient in terms of the way RoleMaster is played, it’s hard to deny it in terms of the world; healing magic is some of the most useful, popular, and sought-after, magic around. The early spellcasters must have had ways to heal people, and, even if they didn’t, someone would’ve researched something like this list by now!
There is, however, a reason why this list has gone out of general use. In fact, there are several; it’s very inefficient compared to “modern” healing spells, it requires a certain amount of medical skill as well as magical power – and it doesn’t do a thing for pain and suffering. If it hurts like hell, you’ll just have to put up with it. Given that healing magic is – like most things – primarily available to those with cash, that alone would be enough to explain it. Finally, this list is entirely physically oriented. It has no direct power over the mind or soul – and cannot be used to “raise the dead” after the soul departs.
It’s still popular with “adventurers” – people who are notorious for having more power then sense, being unconcerned with comfort – and for getting badly hurt in extremely isolated places with alarming frequency. Given how difficult it is to pry any dedicated healer away from the numerous people who need them in towns, this is a superb list for adventures to dabble in.
|01)||Repair Soft Tissue||Patient||Permanent||Touch|
|03)||Repair Bone Fracture||Patient||Permanent||Touch|
|04)||Tissue Alignment||Patient||1 Minute||Touch|
|05)||Stop Fluid Leakage||Patient||Concentration||Touch|
|09)||Destroy Hostile Mi.||Patient||Permanent||Touch|
|13)||Lesser Regeneration||Patient||One Day||Touch|
|14)||Greater Regeneration||Patient||One Day||Touch|
|15)||True Regeneration||Patient||One Day||Touch|
|20)||Accelerated Healing||Patient||One Day||Touch|
|40)||Regulate The Body||Patient||One Month||Touch|
01) Repair Soft Tissue (H) This useful spell heals simple soft tissue damage, such as bruising, strains, minor cuts, severed blood vessels, superficial burns, and so on – stuff that would heal normally on its own, given time. (IE; the spell heals 1D6 concussion hits, which also serves to reduce bleeding to some degree).
02) Repair Cartilage (H) Repairs damaged cartilage in a small area – such as the nose or around a single joint. Things like massive damage to the spine would require many applications – as well as a lot of other spells.
03) Repair Bone Fracture (H) Repairs a single bone fracture. It’s best to align the pieces first, since it’s perfectly possible for bone to heal crookedly or with a “built-in” weakness. Compound fractures, badly smashed skulls, and similar disasters may require the use of this spell a dozen times or more.
04) Tissue Alignment (H) Lines up all the assorted bits of tissue in a cut, smashed, traumatically amputated, or otherwise damaged, area. If repeated, and combined with (numerous) applications of the relevant repair spells given above, this can be used to attach severed limbs – if the process is well begun within a about fifteen minutes of the time of the injury.
05) Stop Fluid Leakage (H) This handy spell forces the various body fluids (Blood, cerebro-spinal, etc), to stay inside where they belong. Unfortunately, the effect is only sustained by the caster’s will. It’s a very good idea to get some help before you stop concentrating on the spell.
06) Stabilize Patient (H) While closely related to the various “Lifekeeping” spells, “stabilize Patient” suffers from major disadvantages; it’s only effective when it’s applied before a patient actually dies, and it’s sustained by the caster’s concentration – rather than lasting for a fixed period. You’ve got to sleep sometime. Stabilization stops bleeding and any further deterioration, but is of no help otherwise. If you’re in agony, you’ll stay that way until somebody employs a more effective treatment.
07) Cellular Support (H) This spell supports life- functions on the molecular level – rather than trying to keep the body actually functioning. This is useful in keeping amputated limbs ready to be re-attached or in temporarily sustaining life sans vital organs, and can prevent both soul-departure and the deterioration of the body after death – provided only that the user gets to his or her patient before the brain dies. The spell is sometimes used on “perfectly healthy” people as well since it allows them to resist the effects of certain criticals or hold their breath a long time. Sadly, this effect is sustained by the caster’s will. It’s a good idea to get some help before you drop the spell.
08) Destroy Toxins (H) Gets rid of any toxins in a (willing) patient’s body. Sadly, this does not repair any damage they’ve already done.
09) Destroy Hostile Microfauna (H) Cures diseases, unless the disease makes a resistance roll. Sadly, this doesn’t repair any damage they’ve already done.
10) Destroy Parasites (H) While this targets worms and athlete’s foot, and similar problems, it’s other- wise identical to #9, above.
11) Healing (H) Restores 6-60 concussion hits. As a rule, this suffices to stop bleeding.
12) Restart Body (H) The arcane equvilent of CPR and a crash cart, this spell can get a “dead” body up and going again. Unfortunately, unless something’s done, or has been done, about whatever killed it, it’ll die again in a minute or two. Even worse, if it’s soul’s already departed, all you get is a comatose zombie.
13) Minor Regeneration (H) Induces rapid and scar- less regrowth of those organs which already possess a substantial capacity for “self-“repair, such as skin, blood, the liver, the stomach, the intestinal lining, and bone. The process requires 1-6 days, does not pro- vide any necessary life support – and requires that the spell be renewed daily.
14) “Greater” Regeneration (H) Permits the gradual regrowth of organs that possess modest capacities for self-repair, such as the kidneys, lungs, and heart. The spell is otherwise basically identical to #13, above, although the base time required is 2-12 days.
15) True Regeneration (H) Allows slow regeneration of damage to the central nervous system. Sadly, this merely restores the basic neural net. It does not re- store memories and learned reflexes; the patient will simply have to learn to use restored functions again, like a child learning to compensate for brain damage. The basic healing process requires 3-18 days – but is otherwise pretty much identical to #13.
20) Accelerated Healing (H) This spell accelerates the patients metabolism, increasing the rate at which he / she heals and recovers from injuries by a factor of ten. Unfortunately, such patients also eat, drink, and excrete many times as much as they usually would, are badly fevered, tend to babble, and require constant attention. Still, this can make the use of quite a few of the other spells on this list quite a bit more practical.
25) Diagnostic (H) Gives the caster a through, and detailed, knowledge of exactly what’s wrong with his/ her patient, as well as a clear understanding of what tools and techniques are required to effect a “complete recovery”. If the user possesses the required tools, any rolls required are made with a +50% bonus.
30) Surgery Arcane (H) Permits the user to perform advanced surgery (Anything from the cosmetic stuff on up to major transplant surgery) without penalty using his or her first aid skill, and whatever tools happen to be available. Better tools provide bonuses (Using your hands counts as a “Medium” maneuver), but a mere success is all that’s required.
40) Regulate The Body (H) This useful spell allows the caster to treat “diseases” such as cancer, any of the “autoimmune disorders”, diabetes, various genetic difficulties, physical malformations, and so on. As a note, regulated genetic defects will not be passed on to offspring; those genes are effectively edited out. While there is some evidence that this spell can also be used to slow the aging process, there isn’t really much data on the exact applications of fortieth-level spells.
50) Mindhealing (H) Actually misnamed, this useful spell doesn’t affect the mind directly. It does cure things like epilepsy, those pesky chemical imbalances in the brain, Tourette’s syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease, many addictions, and numerous other disorders.