They are written on crumbling rolls of parchment, scraped into the hard stone of prison walls, painstakingly illuminated by novices, and passed on in secret under the eyes of persecutors. Each such account is an enduring testimony to faith, hope, and endurance, and a way to inspire those same qualities in others.
The contents vary immensely in detail – but in a far more fundamental way they are all much alike. They tell the tales of those who were once like you – but who rose to become more, to stand and testify to the truth of their faith, as you might someday. They tell tales of heroism, of redemption, of perseverance, and of death.
They provide examples for others to emulate.
If a teacher has the talent to use them properly, and the faith to lend them power, such an account can help him or her inspire others to follow those teachings, drawing strength from tales of heroes to become heroes themselves.
This modestly-sized and well-worn tome has been pored over repeatedly by a student seeking inspiration – and possibly ever-deeper meanings – in the accounts of the heroes of the faith. Such concentration has, in fact, made it a minor relic…
- Mystic Artist (Knowledge / Religion), Specialized for Double Effect (double potency of effects) and Corrupted for 2/3’rds cost (4 CP); The initial activation requires at least fifty rounds of listening to the user tell inspiring tales of the faith, only allows the use of Inspiration and Synergy Mystic Artist Abilities (never Manipulation), can only produce beneficial effects, and requires a compatible alignment and general philosophy to take effect on listeners.
- Echoes, Specialized and Corrupted: Does not work with advanced mystic artist abilities, only allows the use of Inspiration and Synergy Mystic Artist Abilities (never Manipulation), can only produce beneficial effects, and requires a compatible alignment and general philosophy to take effect on listeners (2 CP).
- Skill Focus/Know
ledge; Religion +3, Specialized / only applies in relationship to Mystic Artist abilities (3 CP).
With a total cost of 9 CP, this is a one-point relic. It normally requires the investment of a character point in it to use, but – sadly – that can’t reduce it below a one-point relic.
Echoes is one of the more subtly powerful abilities: a Mystic Artist can provide some fairly potent benefits – but normally needs to actually perform to do so. With Echoes, that “performance” can have been up to two weeks earlier – and the user can often “remind” his or her target of that performance as a free action.
OK, the effect doesn’t last that long – but “one minute” can be quite long enough in a fight.
Copies of the Lives of the Saints are always personal relics, created by someone with the Create Relic ability. In general they’re used by priests – who will try to get their companions to listen to their small sermons, parables, and tales of the faith, illustrated with scenes from their personal copy. Those who DO listen will often find new strength at some later point when reminded of those inspiring tales…
- Orin Markala – Level Two Upgrades (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Orin Makala – Statistics (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse and Old Sarge – Small Unit Tactics Style (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- A Feat full of Tricks, Part II – Clerics (ruscumag.wordpress.com)