First up for today, it’s a quick answer to one of the more common Eclipse questions – how a spellcaster can modify how particular groups of spells work.
Sometimes that’s merely special effects, and so doesn’t actually require a power; it simply requires the consent of your game master. You want all your spells to have a “green flame” aspect to them? That doesn’t really do anything? So be it. These are fantasy games. Looking cool, exotic, outright weird, or appallingly evil, is all free.
A lot of characters, however, want something that actually makes a difference.
- They may want their fire spells to operate underwater – call it Phosphorescent Mastery.
- They may want their ice spells to briefly paralyze those they damage – call it Glacial Wind.
- They may want to be able to cast spells that normally require plants to work and have them grow their own plants – call it Green Thumb.
- They may want their fire spells to actually set things on fire and to leave clouds of smoke – call it Incendiary Mania.
They may want hundreds of different things.
Fortunately, in Eclipse, that’s really, really, easy to set up.
Practically any modification you want on a spell can be produced by one of the Metamagical Theorems. Buying the ability to apply a couple of levels of free metamagic – enough to tweak the spells in a particular category to do something unusual – is straightforward.
Purchase the appropriate Metamagical Theorem (6 CP) and two levels of Streamline (12 CP). Specialize and Corrupt both of those items to reduce the cost; only to apply a specific +2 spell level modifier to a particular – and relatively narrow – group of spells.
That will suffice in the vast majority of cases – and at a net cost of only 6 CP, the same as any normal feat. So go right ahead. Give your spellcaster some interesting specialty or option. Make his or her favorite spells a bit more powerful – and make both him and them thoroughly distinctive. Don’t make playing pieces. Make CHARACTERS.
Eclipse: The Codex Persona is available in a Freeware PDF Version, in Print, and in a Paid PDF Version that includes Eclipse II (245 pages of Eclipse races, character and power builds, items, relics, martial arts, and other material) and the web expansion.
- Dramatic Spell Research and Radius Potions (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse d20 – Casting while Grappled (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- D20 and Megalithic Magic (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Spell Research – Changing Spell Types (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Kitsune of the Eclipse Part III from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Emperic Masquerader (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Return to Middle Earth – Gandalf and the Eclipse (ruscumag.wordpress.com)