This request was for a Pathfinder / Dragonstar planetouched (earth ancestry) youngster who has been drafted into the space marines and who has accidentally summoned and bound himself to a Shaitan – a djinn/demon who was once a near demigodling, but who has been near-forgotten for centuries, and so has little power left (something which once more having a follower may start to fix). The Shaitan grants him what power she can in exchange for his soul, his service, and his deeds to restore her – and, in the meantime, she can manifest near him to help promote her own goals.
OK then… one Eclipse Build, starting off with the…
Pathfinder Package Deal: (Discussed more fully HERE)
- +2 to an Attribute, Corrupted/the attribute is fixed by race (8 CP).
- Fast Learner, Specialized and Corrupted/only works as long as the user sticks to a particular archetype and relatively narrow plan of development chosen at level one at each level, points may only be spent on skills and additional hit points (2 CP).
- Immunity/not being allowed to buy up their (normally maximized) level one hit die later on. Uncommon/Minor/Major (3 CP).
- Action Hero (Crafting), Specialized and Corrupted/the user still has to spend the time, and money, and may ONLY create items by spending action points (2 CP).
- Pathfinder provides a +3 bonus to “Trained In-Class Skills”. This is an option attached to the skills system, not part of a character build – “Characters get a +3 bonus on skills that fit their character concept”. The awkwardness in Eclipse comes in deciding which skills qualify as “In-Class”. The simplest option is simply to let the character consider Craft, Profession, and their selection of a dozen other skills “in-class”. No cost.
- Selected Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise (Cha), Knowledge/The Planes (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Stealth (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
- Package Disadvantage: Accursed (must use the Pathfinder versions of spells even where those have been downgraded, may not take “overpowered” feats, -3 CP).
Next up, it’s a unique Racial Template. Those are always potentially cheesy, but practically everyone in the intended game is going to be fairly unique anyway.
Racial Template/Earth-Themed Native Outsider (30 CP/+0 ECL):
- Pathfinder Package Attribute Bonus goes to Constitution.
- 60′ Darkvision (Occult Sense, 6 CP).
- Proficiency with all Simple and Martial Weapons (9 CP)
- One Bonus Feat, Corrupted/must be earth-magic related (4 CP).
- The original Attribute Shift (-2 to one attribute to add +2 to another) is replaced by a simple +2 to an attribute, since the game is using the half-price attributes rule – so +2 Wisdom (6 CP).
- Immunity/Acid; takes five less (0 minimum) damage from acid (Common, Major, Trivial, 3 CP).
- Inherent Spell, Corrupted/Earth-related effects only (4 CP). This is commonly taken as two L1 effects 2/Day each, but a level two effect twice per day is equally common.
- Bonus Language (Terran) (1 CP).
- Racial Disadvantage: Obvious elemental hybrid traits, subject to prejudice and discrimination (-3 CP).
For his Racial Choices I’ll put in…
- Fast Learner, Specialized for Double Effect in (Earth-Related) Magic Levels, (+2 CP/ level).
- Inherent Spells: Two first level effects usable twice per day each; Earthward I (Cast as an immediate action, blocks 1d8+Level/Max Five points of damage from an incoming attack or effect) and Iron Master (turns a bit of iron into an iron or steel implement weighing up to ten pounds for ten minutes per level).
That’s a fairly powerful race – but not overly so. It should do nicely.
Basic Attributes: Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12 (14), Int 14, Wis 12 (14), Cha 16 (3.5 32-point buy).
Available Character Points: 72 (L2 Base) +6 (Disadvantages: Outcast/obvious planetouched who has bound his soul to an outsider, Untrustworthy) +4 (Duties as a Space Marine) +6 (level one bonus Feat) = 88 CP (and 10 SP from Intelligence).
Basic Purchases (45 CP):
- Warcraft (BAB): +1 (6 CP).
- Hit Points / Dice: 2d8 (8, 6, for 8 CP) +4 (2 x Con Mod) = 18 HP
- Proficient with: All Simple and Martial Weapons (Free) and Light Armor with the Smooth modifier (6 CP).
- Armor Class 10 (Base) +1 (Dex) +6 (Armor/Combat Fatigues) +1 (Defender) = 18
- Initiative +1 (Dex)
- Movement: 30′
- Save Bonuses:
- Fortitude: +2 (6 CP) +2 (Con) = +4
- Reflex: +2 (6 CP) +1 (Dex) = +3
- Will: +2 (6 CP) +2 (Wis) = +4
- Skill Points: 7 (Purchased, 7 CP) + 10 (Int Mod x 5) +4 (Fast Learner) = 21
Special Abilities (43 CP):
- Two levels of Clerical Package Deal Spellcasting, Specialized/spells are randomly determined at the start of each day, Caster Level may not be expanded to cover other progressions. (2 CP after eight CP from racial Fast Learner effect is included). Domains: Earth and Fire. Choice of Spell Conversion to either Healing or Harming. Restrictions: Conduct (appease his Shaitan), Restrained (no wide-area destruction).
- Two Sorcerer Magic Levels, Restrictions of Conduct (appease Kalki) and Studies (limited spell selection). Specialized/The spells are provided by his Shaitan; using them requires that she be present and approve of their use (which she is reluctant to do unless he is in immediate peril, since her power is limited now), the caster levels cannot be expanded to cover other progressions (16 CP).
- Shaping, Specialized for Increased Effect (only works for the user’s limited list of level zero spells), Corrupted/must be free to gesture and speak (4 CP). This provides Pathfinder-style unlimited use of his level zero spells.
- He can cast 4L0 and 3L1 Cleric Spells (and his L1 domain spell) and 6L0 and 5L1 Sorcerer Spells. He will “know” five L0 and two L1 Sorcerer Spells.
- Fortune (takes no effect on a successful reflex saves) (6 CP)
- Defender (+level/5, rounded down AC bonus. Minimum of +1. (6 CP)
- Companion (Mystic Companion, CR 2 creature base) with +2 ECL Template and Transform (Specialized for Increased Effect: the user cannot take the Companions form and the Companion can only take a version of the user’s form that matches the companions sex – but the companion enjoys a +2 bonus on each attribute when taking the user’s form). Specialized/the Companion is not loyal to the user as companions usually are, and has no obligation to help the user physically or socially; the user will just have to stay in the good graces of this fairly-independent NPC (9 CP). This will represent our manifested entity, who usually appears a lot like him – rather than as the churning elemental power she is in reality.
Hm… What to use for a base, what to use… In this case, I think I’ll use a 3.5 Azer – rendered a bit more generic.
Generic CR2 Medium Elemental Being: 2d8 HP, Speed 30′, AC +6 Natural, BAB +2, Proficient with Simple and Martial Weapons and Light and Medium Armor, Darkvision 60′, All Saves +3, Str 13, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 9, Does +1 point of Elemental Damage with their Attacks, Energy Infusion of Choice, Spell Resistance II, and one Bonus Feat. 16 + (Int Mod x2) Skill Points.
As a Mystic Companion add: Improved Fortune (Evasion), use their “master’s” base saves with their attribute bonuses where they’re better than their own, add (Master’s Level/2, rounded down) d8 HD, Natural Armor, and BAB, a +1 bonus to Str or Con for every 5 levels or part thereof which their master possesses, and +3 CP to spend for every level their master has. They’d normally get a base Int of at least 8, but they’re doing better than that already.
So our faded Shaitan’s current base is 3d8 HP, Speed 30′, AC +7 Natural, BAB +3, Proficient with Simple and Martial Weapons and Light and Medium Armor, Darkvision 60′, All Saves +3, Str 15, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 11, Does +1 point of Elemental (Lightning) Damage with her attacks, Energy Infusion/Air (no damage from Lightning, double from Acid), Spell Resistance II (13), 16 + (Int Mod x2) Skill Points, Improved Evasion, all Saves +3 base, and Two Bonus Feats. Arguably, she too should get the Pathfinder Package Deal, and so get +2 to an Attribute – but I’ve no idea what would be suitable and I’m not going to work out her skill points; that’s too campaign sensitive; let the GM do it to suit how he or she envisions the relationship.
For that +2 ECL Template I’ll add in…
- Fast Learner, Specialized in Hit Dice (Increase all hit dice to d10’s, 6 CP).
- Energy Infusion (Fire) (immune to Fire, double damage from Cold. (6 CP)
- Universal Damage Reduction 5/- (12 CP).
- Unique Returning (18 CP). As a godling, Kalki is pretty much unkillable save by another god.
- Immunity/Dimensional Barriers (Very Common, Severe, Major, 18 CP): Kalki can move between the dimensions – although this may take her some time; being able to breach the dimensional boundaries doesn’t mean that it may not be a fairly long trip. This is how she gets back when banished or something.
- Mystic Link with the Communications and Identity Modifiers (12 CP).
- Witchcraft III: Our Shaitan is ineligible for Pacts – but she does have two bonus feats, and has spent one on +3d6 Power (Giving her a total of 30) and Summoning. This is pathetic given her once-divine status, but it’s all the power she can channel into the world without a priest of hers to open the way for it.
That’s 90 CP – under the 95 CP allowance for a +2 ECL template.
Overall this fellow has good spellcasting – even if the randomness drastically limits his clerical powers – and a formidable companion. Of course, he is at that companions beck and call if he wants to use his powers – which is a perfect plot hook for the game master.
- Eclipse: The Summoner and the Chimeric Master (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse d20; Pandering to the Martial Arts (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse, The Factotum and the Seneschal (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Some Like It Hot (alzrius.wordpress.com)
- [Emergence Campaign] Do-It-Yourself Charms and Talismans (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse: Castle Hieronymus from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- [Emergence Campaign] Eclipse — Cinematic Combat at the Narrative Convenience Store (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse – The Questionable Inner Fire (ruscumag.wordpress.com)