The eagle had carried the squealing wolf-cub aloft – but had lost its grip, sending the bleeding pup plummeting into young Lucas’s arms. It hadn’t been badly hurt – but it had certainly been frightened enough. The soothsayer had said it was an omen; if he survived, then one day young Lucas would play a mighty role. As a soaring master of the arts… it would fall to him to either preserve or condemn a a great kingdom – or perhaps a world.
It was a nine-days wonder – and then was forgotten except among the other children. There were, after all, many predictions. The soothsayer had to earn his keep SOMEHOW, so he produced them quite regularly.
A few years later Lucas had done very well indeed in his training – and had shown a knack for war-magic; the ability to – with proper assistance – expand his spells to affect entire opposing armies. If he just developed his basic powers, that would be an enormous asset to the house. Thus Lucas was placed in charge of a modest ship and sent forth, hopefully to grow in power with the absurd speed that adventurer’s so often showed.
Pureblooded Human (Half-cost attribute rule in play)
- Fast Learner/Specialized in Skills: +2 SP/Level (6 CP).
- +4 Intelligence (Normally 24 CP, reduced to 12 CP by world laws). As a note, there have been many attempts to enhance the intelligence bonus even further, but they tend to lead to psychological problems and instability. Of course, player characters may be the fortunate exceptions.
- +2 to any one attribute other than Intelligence (normally 12 CP, reduced to 6 CP by world laws).
- Immunity/Aging (uncommon/minor/minor, 2 CP). They can expect to live for several centuries without much of any signs of aging.
- Grant of Aid/Specialized (requires several hours): May heal 1d8+5 damage OR 1d3 points of attribute damage OR one negative level once per three levels per day or part thereof, 3 CP), with the Regenerative option/Corrupted (requires lots of food and rest, 2 CP), allowing them to slowly regrow lost limbs and organs.
Available Character Points: 48 CP (L1 Base) +10 (Disadvantages) +12 (Human and L1 Bonus Feats) +2 (Duties) = 72 CP.
Attributes: Strength 14 (+2), Dexterity 14 (+2), Constitution 14 (16) (+3), Intelligence 22 (+6), Wisdom 10 (+0), Charisma 14 (+2). (32 point buy, 1×10, 5×14. Racial Bonus; +4 Int, +2 Constitution, Pathfinder Bonus; +2 Int, Permanent Enhancement Bonus +2 Int).
Basic Abilities (21 CP):
- Hit Dice: 8 (L1d8, 4 CP) +12 (Magic) +9 (Con Mod x 3) = 29 HP.
- Skill Points: 2 (Purchased, 2 CP) +24 (Int Mod x 4) +8 (Fast Learner) = 34 SP. The skill choice is being left up to the player, but a bit of a sword martial art and a good investment in intelligence-based skills is recommended.
- BAB: +1, Specialized in Swords (3 CP).
- Fortitude: +1 (3 CP) +3 (Con) = +4
- Reflex: +1 (3 CP) +2 (Dex) = +3
- Will: +0 (0 CP) +0 (Wis) = +0
- Proficiencies: All Simple Weapons &Swords (6 CP)
- Initiative: +3 (Dex)
- Move: 30′
- Armor Class: 10 +3 (Dex) = 13.
- Longsword: +3 (+1 BAB +2 Str), 1d8+2 (Str), Crit 19-20/x2.
Other Abilities (51 CP):
- Privilege/Noble, Specialized/as a junior member of the family, Lucas is subject to a wide variety of requests and demands, and can be readily overruled. He still gets some nice social privileges though (1 CP).
- Wealthy, Corrupted/it’s mostly not really HIS money; it’s family funds – and thus may vary due to events outside his control and obligates him to the family (8 CP).
- Dominion (6 CP). While Lucas knows how to draw on the power of his followers, outside of the crew of his ship he really doesn’t have any yet – so his accumulation of Dominion Points is very slow. He’ll need to work on this.
- Battle Magic (6 CP). Lucas knows how to expand his spells to affect massive areas – but lacks the resources to do so at all often.
- 2d6 Mana as 4d4 (12) Generic Spell Levels, Specialized/only to bind into Intelligence-based prepared wizard spells (6 CP). Lucas can prepare a total of twelve levels of spells.
- +1 Base Caster Level, Specialized/only for his prepared arcane spell effects (3 CP).
- Action Hero/Invention, Specialized in Spells for Double Effect (6 CP). Even taking this at level zero means that he’ll still only have ten first level spells – but that’s not a bad selection to start out with.
- Innate Enchantment (6 CP / 5000 GP effective value).
- Amulet of Tears (MIC Duplicate Effect, 2300 GP).
- Detect Magic (SRD SL0, CL1, Unlimited-Use Use-Activated, Personal Only, 700 GP).
- Enhance Attribute +2 (The Practical Enchanter, SL1, CL1, Unlimited-Use Use-Activated, Personal Only, 1400 GP).
- Healing Belt (MIC Duplicate Effect, 750 GP).
- Privilege/Ship Commander (3 CP): Lucas currently commands a basic ship’s crew – a dozen level zero NPC’s with enough training to act as magical assistants for his Battle Magic and
- Airship (Dirigible, the Phantom Wanderer) Owner, Specialized/this is another privilege that’s being provided by his family, and so – once again – his missions are ultimately subject to their authority. Purchased as a Mystic Companion (Giant Owl) with a +2 ECL Vehicle Template for a total CR of 4 (6 CP).
The Phantom Wanderer (Steam Dirigible):
Painted a mottled blue, gray, and white, trailing wisps of white smoke, and driven by its near-silent steam engines, the Phantom Wanderer is well-calculated to blend into the sky – a fortunate thing, since, by default, the ship is entirely unarmed. While the crew area is cramped, it’s a good deal more comfortable than actually camping out.
- Size/Type: Gargantuan Construct
- Hit Dice: 4d10 +12 +72 (Str Mod x 6) = 106. Subject to the Naval Damage Charts, must be Repaired rather than Healed.
- Initiative: +3 (Caps Pilot Bonus).
- Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 70 ft. (average), 100′ with piloting risks.
- Armor Class: 11 (-4 size, +2 Dex, +3 natural).
- Attack: Propellor Slash (1d6+12). Full Attack 2 Propellor Slashes plus possible ram (1d8+6).
- Space: 20 x 60 (roughly 12 x 48 usable area; considering the crew and a smallish cargo area, this is rather cramped – but there is enough space around the central 2′ corridor for six tiny 6′ x 5′ cabins, the 8′ x 6′ piloting compartment at the front, two 3′ x 5′ efficiency washrooms, the twelve triple-decker crew bunks around the 12′ x 8′ common area, and the combined 9′ x 9′ engineering / utility space. Fortunately, the cargo space is located under the floor.
- Special Qualities: Universal DR 2/-. Lighting Systems (Dancing Lights), Voice Tubes (Message), Compass and Maps (Know Direction), Enclosed Crew Area (those aboard are protected by the equivalent of a Tower Shield against attacks from the outside, although they are not considered to be “holding the shield”), Stable Platform (those aboard suffer no penalties for “being mounted”), Safety Holds (those aboard have places to hold on, and may more around under normal conditions without risk), Basic Comforts (those aboard are shielded from most weather, and can expect to remain reasonably comfortable), and Pressurized (those aboard will not be affected by thin atmospheres – provided that the hull is not breached). Carrying Capacity: 9 1/3 tons for a light load, 18 2/3’rds tons for a medium one, and 28 tons for a heavy one.
- Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +3.
- Abilities: Str 34, Dex 15, Con —, Int —, Wis 14, Cha 10
- Skills: Listen +17, Move Silently +8, Spot +10
- Feats: Alertness, Hovering Capability.
Since Lucas is Wealthy the Phantom Wanderer would normally gain +5d10 Hit Dice, +2 on its saves, +2 to each Attribute, +5′ Movement, and +5 Skill Points. Whether or not it will actually do so is up to the game master for this particular game, so these bonuses have not been included.
- Eclipse d20 – Yolande of the Sternwaters from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Gareth Tamson, Feyblooded Cartographer of Dreams (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Gravewright Eyes-Of-The-Dead, Level Six Lesser Lich (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- “Ghost” of the Chosen Ones at Eclipse Level Four (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- [Emergence Campaign] Dallyn Vortys, Ebonthane of Nidhogg the Devourer, Level Seven Would-Be Dark Lord (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Raykul Tepes, Scion of the Damned (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse d20 – The Ironclad Racial Template from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Verdigrised Forge, Ironclad Pragmatic Engineer and Honorable Defender from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)