For today it’s another quick question – how to build a Soul Knife in Eclipse.
That’s actually pretty easy – so here’s the level-twenty breakdown:
Basics (330 CP): d10 HD (120 CP), 92 SP (92 CP, 52 CP after Adept, 18 CP after Adept and Fast Learner), BAB +15 (90 CP), Saves +30 (90 CP), Proficient with all Simple Weapons and Mindblades (6 CP), Light Armor (3 CP), and Shields (3 CP).
Special Abilities (83 CP):
- Mind Blade: Spirit Weapon (6 CP), with Imbuement (6 CP).
- Weapon Focus/Mind Blade: +1 BAB/Specialized in Mind Blades, Corrupted/Does not add to Ieterative Attacks (2 CP).
- Wild Talent: +2 Power. Mana as Power, Specialized and Corrupted/one-third effect (1d6) (2 CP).
- Throw Mind Blade: Buy “Ranged” on your Spirit Weapon (3 CP).
- Psychic Strike: Augment Attack/+5d8 Damage to Spirit Weapon; required limited circumstances; only affects living targets with minds, does not affect creatures immune to mind-affecting effects, requires a move action to activate for one shot (20 CP).
- Free Draw: Reflex Training/summoning the Mind Blade becomes a free action (6 CP).
- Shape Mind Blade: Immunity/the need to have your Spirit Weapon emulate a specific weapon (Common, Major, Major, Specialized and Corrupted/only to change into various types of swords, 3 CP). In Eclipse the ability to split a mindblade into two identical short swords for two-handed fighting is simply a special effect on Bonus Attack. Special Effects generally have no cost (0 CP).
- Mind Blade Enhancement: Add “Improved”, “Focused”, and “Versatile” to the Mind Blade’s Imbuement (18 CP).
- Speed of Thought: Celerity, Specialized/only if psionically focused and not wearing heavy armor (3 CP).
- Bladewind: Enhanced Strike/Whirlwind, with +4 Bonus Uses, Corrupted/only with Mindblade (8 CP).
- Greater Weapon Focus/Mind Blade: +1 BAB/Specialized in Mind Blades, Corrupted/Does not add to Ieterative Attacks (2 CP).
- Knife to the Soul: Trick/may trade in d8’s of Psychic Strike damage (with the same limitations) to do points (one per die) of attribute damage with any given strike, Corrupted/can only damage mental attributes (4 CP).
- Multiple Throw: Since I didn’t bother to corrupt anything to KEEP this character from actually using the attacks he or she was paying for through BAB, this doesn’t cost anything (0 CP).
That gives us a net cost of 413 CP out of the 504 CP a twenty-level build will normally have available – 91 CP, or almost four full levels worth of points, short. Sure, that wouldn’t be quite so bad without Adept or Fast Learner – but those are in the system to allow emulating current builds. This basic problem is why the “Tier” system puts Soulknives down on Tier 4. They just aren’t very well-designed.
A point-buy build will be better of course, simply by virtue of getting to spend those leftover points – but it will probably be a good deal more efficient too.
The Pathfinder Version (Psionics Unleashed, by Dreamscarred Press) spends most (if not quite all) of those leftover points. It gets another +5 BAB (+30 CP), “Superior” Imbuement (+6 CP), a wider variety of abilities that they can grant their mind blade (no cost, since I didn’t bother to restrict the selection in the basic build), and replaces some of the abilities above (notably Bladewind and Knife to the Soul, -12 CP) with a choice of ten “Blade Skills” – each basically equal to a an Eclipse-style feat, or about 60 CP. It also saves 6 CP on Skill Points and uses the Pathfinder Package Deal (free). That’s another 78 CP spent – providing a rough total of 491 CP out of 504; still a bit shy by Eclipse standards, but a MUCH better match than the original build.
- Converting to Eclipse: an Arcane Rogue from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- [Emergence Campaign] Eclipse — The Ways of Dragons I (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse – The Walker In Darkness (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse, the Ways of Dragons II (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- The Thrallherd in Eclipse (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse – The Basic Vampire (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Superdupernatural (alzrius.wordpress.com)