The Green endured, and in the end, it always conquered. It was the basis of life across a myriad worlds. It’s strength – the strength of the lands and forests – surged through his veins, swamping the human side of his heritage. If he could just touch the Green that surely grew in the realms beyond, a thousand new magics might be his!
The older druids would have warned him if he hadn’t hidden his ambitions from them. There were places where even the primeval strengths of the Green did not reach. Places where powers dwelt that no sane spellcaster would ever seek to link to.
When the young druid arose from his trance his new companion stood by his side – and gnawed furtively as his essence. Nidhogg and the powers that gnawed, the forces of the Mirror Sephirot, the things from beyond were indeed a part of nature – but of it’s darkest and most destructive aspect.
And there was HUNGER.
Rake is a Pathfinder-style character, and so takes the Pathfinder Package Deal – including +2 to an attribute, a bonus SP or HP per level in which he follows his development plan, and not having to pay XP for any reasonable use of item-creation abilities.
Since the game master is allowing the characters to create their own races (evil parties tend to need all the advantages they can get) AND is using the half-price rule for attributes Rake has his own unique (supernaturally altered) species:
Racial Template: Half Plant Fey (31 CP/+0 ECL):
- Pathfinder Racial Attribute Bonus: +2 Charisma (0 CP, see Pathfinder Package above)
- Self-Development (Using the half-cost attributes rule): +2 Dex, +2 Wis, +2 Int, +2 more to any chosen attribute (24 CP).
- Fast Learner, Specialized in Skills for Double Effect (+2 SP/Level) (6 CP).
- Immunity to Poison (Common, Major, Minor, 6 CP)
- Occult Sense – Low-Light Vision (6 CP)
- Traceless/Travel (6 CP)
- Speak Language/Sylvan (1 CP).
- Template Disadvantage/the Fey are Compulsive about keeping their sworn words (-3 CP).
The entire Template is, however, Corrupted:
- Rake takes 1d6 extra damage from weapons of Cold Iron.
- Rake’s life is bound to the land; there is some area, or grove of trees, or similar natural feature that you depend on; if it is damaged or destroyed, you will be severely weakened, and will have to find something new to bind yourself too before you can recover.
- Rake is compelled to offer three boons to anyone who independently discovers and invokes his true name – although he can play tricks with the wording and there are limits as to what can be demanded of him (for a start, nothing suicidal or requiring more than one week of his time).
- Rake owes a yearly service (again, nothing suicidal and taking no longer than one month) to the great lords of the fey.
The second, third, and fourth are, of course, plot hooks – ways in which the character can be roped into a party or an adventure. That’s useful to the game master (which is why it’s worth some bonuses), but you’re trusting the game master to provide interesting adventures anyway – so it’s not all that burdensome to the player even if it annoys the character.
Available Character Points: 192 (Level Seven Base) +10 (Disadvantages) +14 (Duties; druid-style) + 24 (L1, 3, 5 and 7 Bonus Feats) = 240 CP.
- Secret: The disturbing truth about Rake is that he’s no longer really in control of himself; the symbiote calls the shots now. That’s why he becomes ineffectual if the symbiote isn’t nearby to tell him what to do.- Compulsive: The Symbiote is HUNGRY FOR MEAT. It will seek to devour creatures whenever possible, provided they are weakened or helpless. Rake must do all he can to help facilitate this.
- Dependent: If the Symbiont isn’t adjacent to Rake, or occupies the same space as Rake for more than a minute, Rake suffers a -3 penalty to all rolls.
Attributes: STR 8, DEX 18 (+2 racial), CON 12, INT 12 (+2 Racial), WIS 16 (+2 Racial), and CHA 22 (+4 racial, +1 at level 4, +1 from Self-Development at level 4)
Basic Purchases (71 CP):
- Hit Dice: 7d6 (14 CP).
- Saves: total +8 (24 CP).
- Fortitude: +4 (12 CP) +1 (Con) = +5
- Reflex: +2 (6 CP) +4 (Dex) = +6
- Will: +2 (6 CP) +3 (Wis) = +5
- Skill Points: 15 (15 CP) +20 (Racial Fast Learner) + 10 (Int) = 45 SP
- BAB +3 (18 CP).
- Proficiencies: Light Armor and Shields, both Corrupted/non-metal materials only (4 CP).
Special Abilities (130 CP):
- Turning Towards The Sun: Fast Learner, Specialized in Druid Magic Levels for Double Effect (6 CP, taken at L0).
- Spirit-Speaker: Nine Charisma-Based Druid Magic Levels (72 – 16 = 56 CP). Restrictions: Conduct (Don’t harm nature), Restrained (No damaging spells).
- Champion of the Wilds: Improved Augmented Bonus x3 (Adds Cha Mod to all three saving throws), Specialized / only while he remains true to the service of the powers of nature (18 CP).
- Whispering Lore/Augmented Bonus; may add (Cha Mod) to Knowledge Skills, since the spirits of nature constantly whisper their secrets to him (6 CP).
- Master Of The Vine/Innate Enchantment (7000 GP net value/8 CP).
- Roots of the Earth/Fast Healing I, SL1 x CL1 x 2000 GP Unlimited-Use Use-Activated x .6 for 3x/Day = 1200 GP.
- Entangle: SL1 x CL1 x 2000 GP Unlimited-Use Use-Activated = 2000 GP.
- Shoots of Ivy: Vines stretch from you to perform a non-damaging single combat maneuver at close range using a combat maneuver bonus of (Caster’s Hit Dice + Casting Attribute Modifier + Caster Size Modifier) before withering away moments later. SL1 x CL1 x 2000 GP Unlimited-Use Use-Activated = 2000 GP.
- Etheric Foliage: The user is surrounded by the rustling shadows of leaves, which deflect blows and missiles as per Shield of Faith. SL1 x CL1 x 2000 GP Unlimited-Use Use-Activated = 2000 GP.
- Might of Trees/Empowerment, Specialized in Innate Enchantment: His Innate Enchantments use his level as their casting level, rather than their purchased casting level (6 CP).
- The Wind In The Branches/Immunity/Restraint (QV Freedom Of Movement) (Uncommon, Major, Epic, Specialized and Corrupted/only works for (Level) rounds per day, although these need not be consecutive (6 CP).
- Self-Development (6 CP): +1 to Charisma
- One With The World/Immunity/The need to have Cover or Concealment to Hide (Common, Minor, Minor, 4 CP).
- Flesh of the Fey/Damage Reduction 2, Corrupted/not versus Cold Iron (2 CP).
- Of Air and Darkness/Improved (Level + 10) Spell Resistance (12 CP).
Rokean, Harbringer of the Outer Darkness (39 CP).
- Companion/Companion Creature (6 CP) with +2 ECL Template (Alien Symbiont, 6 CP), Might (+2 Positive Levels, 6 CP), Great Form (can cast Righteous Might (as evil) on companion up to three times per day as a Free Action, 6 CP), and Transference/+30 (15 CP).
Base Statistics: Wild Boar.
- Companion Bonuses: Improved Fortune/Evasion, +3d8 HD, +3 Natural Armor, +3 Warcraft, +1 Con, +1 Str, Int 8, 21 CP to spend. May communicate and share the effects of spells and powers (if desired) at ranges of up to one mile. CP: Adept (Perception, Sense Motive, Climb, Stealth, 6 CP), +4 to each Adept skill (8 CP), extra +2 on Perception (1 CP), Improved Initiative +4 (6 CP).
- Might Bonuses: +2 to BAB, Saves, and AC, +12 CP to spend.
- CP: Luck with +4 Bonus Uses, Specialized in Saving Throws (6 CP), Reflex Training /three extra actions per day variant (6 CP).
- Alien Symbiont Template (+2 ECL/93 CP):
- Extra Legs (6 CP) – +4 bonus vs. Trip, +10 bonus to ground movement, for a total of 50′
- Self-Development: +4 Strength, +2 Dex (18 CP, since the half-price attribute rule is in play)
- Amorphous (6 CP): Can’t be flanked, can fit through small spaces.
- Energy Infusion/Fire: Immune to Fire, double damage from Cold (6 CP).
- Energy Infusion/Electricity: Immune to Electricity, double damage from Acid (6 CP).
- Mindspeech (6 CP): The creature has no voice, and so must communicate telepathically
- Occult Sense/Blindsight 60 (6 CP).
- Internal Inherent Spell I/Negate Aroma and Feather Step, each usable 2/Day as a supernatural ability (12 CP)
- Internal Inherent Spell II /Greater Invisibility as a supernatural ability with +6 Bonus Uses (21 CP).
- Returning; As long as Rake survives, his Symbiont can regenerate from him, whether he likes it or not (6 CP).
- Transference Bonuses:
- Martial Arts (6 CP): Gore increases to 1d12.
- Lunge (6 CP): 5′ Reach.
- Augment Attack/2d6 Sneak Attack (6 CP)
- DR 2/- (3 CP).
- +3 Skill Points (three remaining adept skills to +6, 3 CP).
- Enhanced Strike/Mighty Slash (Automatically deals maximum damage and gets a +5 to hit, once per minute, 6 CP).
Which gives Rokean…
Medium sized Abomination:
- Str 22, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 4
- HD: 5d8
- HP: 57/57
- Initiative: +5
- BAB: +6/+1
- CMB: +12
- CMD: 23, 31 vs. Trip
- Base Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2
- Adjusted Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +3
- AC: 20 (+9 Natural + 1 Dex)
- FF AC: 19 (+9 Natural)
- Touch AC: 11 (+1 Dex)
- Speed: 50′
- – Improved Evasion
- – DR 2/-
- – Immune to Fire
- – Immune to Electricity
- – Vulnerable to Cold
- – Vulnerable to Acid
- – Climb 6 + 6 + 3 = +15
- – Perception 6 + 1 + 3 = +10
- – Sense Motive 6 + 1 + 3 = +10
- – Stealth 6 + 1 + 3 = +10
- Special Abilities:
- – Ferocity (is staggered but not unconscious once past 0 HP)
- Gore natural attack (1d12)
- Sneak Attack 2d6
- Blindsight 60′
- Negate Aroma and Feather Step, each usable 2/Day as a supernatural ability
- Greater Invisibility as a supernatural ability with +6 Bonus Uses
- Amorphous: Can’t be flanked, can fit through small spaces
- Returning: If “killed”, Smoke Pig regenerates from Rake whether he likes it or not
- Mighty Slash: Automatically deals maximum damage and gets a +5 to hit, once per minute
- Luck with +4 Bonus Uses (take 20 on saving throw), Specialized in Saving Throws
- Reflex Training /three extra actions per day variant