Yuki Tendo was originally a Champions / Hero System superhero – but her player wants to bring her over into Atheria, an Eclipse d20 setting.
In this case, that’s easy enough:
In Champions, Yuki was…
- A Martial Artist, with attributes slightly past normal human values – but quite low as superheroic martial artists go.
- A competent basic Ice Mage (with an Arctic Hawk familiar), but not a powerful magus.
- A Short Range Teleporter with boosted speed – but not a powerful teleporter or speedster.
- A Skill Expert with Six overall Levels.
- A descendant of the Egyptian Sky Goddess Nut with some minor perks.
In other words, as a superhero, she was a dabbler – competent enough to be useful in many roles, but not really a master of any of them.
Now, superheroes normally enjoy near-unlimited use of their powers. In Eclipse, that’s usually a job for Innate Enchantment or the Path of the Dragon. Sadly, both are limited on Atheria – but the setting does offer a benefit that’s right down a superheroes alley.
In Atheria, spells are normally limited to a maximum level of three – but a character can apply a negative modifier to the effective value of a characteristic (for all purposes except buying it up) of up to -5 to reduce the effective level of a chosen spell by the same amount. Of course, not all spells are eligible for this reduction (in general, Transmutation spells that affect external objects other than to move them around and attribute enhancements are not eligible), This choice is permanent and irreversible – and makes the user easily detectable as an unnatural being. Casting such a spell radiates alien energies and can disturb the structure of reality.
Ergo, this build is going to be using Innate Enchantment with some attribute points burnt off – probably from Charisma. Yuki was a very prickly young woman who had trouble getting along with people and who tended to go straight for the pummeling. Her closest approach to a “Social Skill” was Interrogation. Now yes, that’s a cheap way to go about things, and will provide substantial immediate powers that will not scale well later on – but it will properly reproduce the character and her unlimited-use abilities.
To answer a question, yes this approach provides a great deal of power for a character of only level five. It is, however, a terrible character design. It relies utterly on a world law that’s unique to Atheria and creates an Achilles heel – a simple dispel magic versus a level one caster can shut down virtually every ability the character has. So can any other method of disrupting a magic item. Worse, the character has already pushed Innate Enchantment to it’s local limits – and has nowhere else to go with it. The only way she can upgrade most of her powers is to spend more attribute points on them – and even that will never overcome their fundamental vulnerability. Unfortunately, breaking things up to avoid those problems would require a much higher level character, with a lot more character points to work with – and the player would like to try out the character in d20 now, not when the game reaches much higher levels.
Secondarily, Atheria does not have much in the way of “magic items”. Characters do, however, get some enhanced abilities. Self-Development costs are halved (resulting in an automatic +1 to an attribute every two levels) and characters get bonus feats at levels 1, 2, and every two levels thereafter. Characters normally start off with a wealth level of Common or below. Starting off Well-Off costs 3 CP, Affluent costs 6 CP and Wealthy (the usual maximum) costs 12 CP.
Mystic Ninja, Atheria Campaign
Yuki Tendo, sometimes known as “Yukikaze” (“Snow Wind”), is the youngest current graduate of the Tendo family dojo – and is thus the youngest Mystic Ninja in the Tendo family, and the heir to a tradition of many centuries.
For good or ill, her older sister Ranko turned out to have minor “mutant” (psionic) powers rather than being limited to traditional minor mysticism and martial arts, and promptly got a part “playing superhero” on her own reality show.
While her father found nothing wrong with being a superhero, arranging to have yourself followed about by camera-drones was just not in the spirit of Ninjitsu – so he turned all his attentions onto Yuki, and started counting on her to follow the family tradition and, eventually, take over the Dojo to teach the next generation. Unfortunately, at the moment, Yuki is more interested in competing with Ranko – and now has unfortunately suffered a dimensional travel misfire which has left her stranded in the wrong dimension entirely.
On the other hand, you can hardly do better as a “mysterious hero” than to be from another dimension entirely. It will do for the moment!
Available Character Points: 144 (Level Five Base) +10 (Duties: Protection of the Innocent, pass on the secrets of Ninjitsu – but only to family members) +10 (Disadvantages: Cursed to draw unwanted and unsuitable suitors, Compulsively honorable, and Irreverent – having several gods in the family has left Yuki pretty blase about them) +24 (L1, L2, L4 and Racial Bonus Feats) = 188 CP.
Unshielded extradimensional travel to and from Atheria results in uncontrolled exposure to the energies of the Dragon – and a roughly 90% chance of utter annihilation. Survivors become Dragon-Born – their previous racial modifiers burned away by the energies of the Dragon to be replaced by the following +0 ECL racial package.
- Get one Bonus “Feat” worth 6 CP (6 CP).
- Have Fast Learner (6 CP) for +1 CP/Level. This may be specialized (and, in Yuki’s case, is indeed specialized in Skills, for +2 CP/Level).
- Gain +12 CP worth of Innate Enchantment(s). Fortunately, on Atheria, where “experience points” do not exist, there’s no experience point cost on Innate Enchantments.
- Gain Immunity/Natural Law/The restriction of Innate Enchantments to 12 CP in total (Common / Major / Minor [may exceed the normal limits on Innate Enchantment by up to 12 CP], 6 CP).
- Gain the benefits of the Universal Birthright, at least as long as they’re on Atheria.
- Gain a +1 Bonus to Knowledge/Planes (1 CP)
- If it comes up, the child of a Dragon-Born mother normally takes on the Birthright of the place where it was conceived.
Ninja Package Deal (Free):
The Ninja Package is actually pretty straightforward: it assumes that you’ve trained from an early age in sneaking about, evading or blocking attacks, and in some martial art or another. It doesn’t include anything particularly occult, or superhuman, or even all that unusual either. It was, after all, a package developed by people in reality
Adept (6 CP): Pays half cost for Hide, any one Martial Art, Move Silently, and Tumble.
- Block/Melee (6 CP): May expend an Attack of Opportunity and make a DC 20 Reflex save once per round to reduce the damage from a successful incoming melee attack by up to sixty points – albeit to a minimum of zero.
Basic Attributes (32 Point Buy): Str 10 (12), Dex 20*^ (22), Con 12 (14), Int 16, Wis 10, Chr 16^ (9).
*Level-Based Attribute Bonuses: +2 Dex.
^Purchased Attribute Bonuses: +4 Cha, +2 Dex (36 CP). Sadly, Yuki has burned off nine charisma points reducing spell levels – three on Winter Adept, one on Heroism, one on Skill Mastery, one on Cats Grace, two on Wraith Step Kata, and two on Ninja Mastery. Fortunately, she has a +2 magical bonus, which keeps her from being too inherently obnoxious.
Special Note: Yuki, like many superheroines, is exceptionally good-looking. She also has a very abrasive personality…
Basic Abilities (83 CP):
- Hit Points: 20 (L1d20, 16 CP) +26 (L2-5 d8, 16 CP) +10 (5 x Con Mod) = 56
- BAB: +3 (18 CP)
- Fortitude: +0 (Purchased, 0 CP) +2 (Con) +2 (Morale) = +4
- Reflex: +2 (Purchased, 6 CP) +6 (Dex) +2 (Morale) = +10
- Will: +4 (Purchased, 12 CP) +0 (Wis) +2 (Morale) = +6
- Proficient with All Simple, Martial, and Exotic Weapons (15 CP)
- Initiative: +6 (Dex)
- Movement: 60′. May teleport as normal movement (Wraith Step Kata).
- Armor Class: 10 (Base) +6 (Dex) +4 (Ice Armor) +4 (Ice Shield) = 24
- Usual Weapons
- “Shuriken” (Knives): +12/+12/+12 (Conjured and thrown by Ninja Mastery, +3 BAB +2 Morale +6 Dex +1 Masterwork), 1d4+3 (+1 Str +2 Mor), Crit 19-20/x2, 80′ Range Increment thanks to her Bracers of Hurling.
- Ice Bolt (via Winter Adept): +11 Ranged Touch Attack (+3 BAB +2 Morale +6 Dex), 3d6 +2 (+2 Mor) damage, Crit 20/x2, Range 520′.
- Chains of Ice (via Winter Adept): Range 520′, DC 18 Reflex save to dodge, DC 15 Fort save to escape each round.
- Katana (Longsword), the Sword of Yoshima: +6/+6 (+3 BAB +2 Morale, +1 Masterwork, Personal Haste), 1d8+3 (+1 Str +2 Mor), Crit 19-20/x2. +3d6 damage versus Undead, seven Attacks of Opportunity, may continue a successful slash by spending two of them.
- Unarmed: +7/+7 (+3 BAB +2 Morale +2 Enh, Personal Haste), 1d6+5 (+1 Str +2 Enh +2 Mor), Crit 20/x3.
Special Abilities (42 CP):
As a superhero, Yuki’s “Powers” pretty much define her. That means spending another 12 CP on Innate Enchantment (the maximum allowable) to add to her racial benefit – getting her up to an effective value of 23,000 GP. Coupled with a few strategic effective spell level reductions, that should make her fairly powerful. In general, all of her abilities are (effectively) Spell Level One, Caster Level One, and Unlimited-Use Use-Activated for a base cost of 2000 GP each. Where relevant, they also have the “Personal Use Only” modifier, for a net cost of 1400 GP.
- Fortunes Favor (from The Practical Enchanter, 1400 GP): +2 Luck bonus to all Skill and Attribute Checks.
- Heroism (L2, reduced to L1 via the Blood of the Dragon, 1400 GP): +2 Morale bonus to attacks, checks, damage, and saves.
- Skill Mastery (L2, reduced to L1 via the Blood of the Dragon, 1400 GP): +4 Competence Bonus to all Skill and Attribute Checks.
- Unseen Aide (L1, a variant of Unseen Servant, which provides a +2 “Aid Another” bonus to Checks based on Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution but does nothing else, 1400 GP).
- Whispering Sage (A spirit-summoning spell which provides a +2 “Aid Another” bonus to Checks based on Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma for one minute per level of the caster, 1400 GP).
- Enhance Attribute/+2 Dexterity (from The Practical Enchanter, 1400 GP): +2 Enhancement Bonus to Dexterity.
- Enhance Attribute/+2 Strength (from The Practical Enchanter, 1400 GP): +2 Enhancement Bonus to Strength.
- Enhance Attribute/+2 Charisma (from The Practical Enchanter, 1400 GP): +2 Enhancement Bonus to Charisma.
- Enhance Attribute/+2 Constitution (from The Practical Enchanter, 1400 GP): +2 Enhancement Bonus to Constitution.
- Personal Haste (from The Practical Enchanter, 2000 GP): +30′ Move, +1 attack at full BAB when making a full attack.
- Winter’s Knife Technique (“Martial Arts”, from the Paragon List, this site, 1400 GP): The user’s hands and feet are as effective as a +2 Hand Axe.
- Wraith Step Kata (L3, reduced to L1 via the Blood of the Dragon. This is related to Dimension Door but the caster can only carry one other person (whom the caster must physically carry) and must expend ground movement normally. Thus, if the user has a 30′ move, he or she can travel up to 30′ as a move action, 60′ by spending a standard action as well, or 120′ as a full-round action, 2000 GP).
- Ninja Mastery (L3 Greater Invocation of Ninja Conjuring, reduced to L1 via the Blood of the Dragon, 1400 GP): Yuki may employ minor items of ninja gear – smoke, flash, and gas pellets, flaming arrows, flares, sleeve-firing grappling lines, swim fins, camouflage clothing and makeup, rope, excellent lockpicks, sneezing powder, shuriken, forged papers, crude paragliders, and so on, pretty much at will. No one knows where she keeps the stuff. In general, these have effects roughly equivalent to those of a strong first-level spell and only work for her.
- Winter Adept (L4 Greater Invocation of Winter, reduced to L1 via the Blood of the Dragon, 2000 GP): Produces any winter-related effect of up to level two. This usually includes icy mists and snow, blasts of icy wind, ice bolts, ice bonds, ice armor, resistance to cold and fire, and summoning minor air elementals.
- Fast Healing I three times per day (from The Practical Enchanter, for 18 Rounds, 840 GP).
- Relieve Illness once per day (from the Hedge Wizardry list, this site, 280 GP).
- Relieve Poison once per day (from the Hedge Wizardry list, this site, 280 GP).
- Lesser Restoration once per day (280 GP).
At a net cost of 23,080 GP – and nine attribute points – that power package is pretty good. About the only possible step up would be to expend a few more attribute points on boosting some of the spells.
There is one problem though; as it stands, her ice – and ninja gadget – powers have an effective caster level of one. To fix that, we need to buy
- Three Base Caster Levels, Specialized and Corrupted / only for use in boosting Innate Enchantment Greater Invocations (6 CP) and
- Empowerment, Specialized (for unlimited use) in her Ninja Mastery and Winter Adept powers (6 CP).
Her Additional abilities include;
- Fast Learner, Specialized in Skills for Double Effect (+2 SP/Level, 6 CP). This is considered to be her Racial Feat, and so has applied since birth.
- Companion (6 CP): Yuki has an Arctic Hawk familiar, and gains a +3 bonus on Spot checks. She can currently communicate with it telepathically within a range of one mile and it can take “Aid Another” actions on her Spot and Listen checks, granting another +2.
- Occult Sense/Spatial Perception (6 CP): Yuki can sense matter within a radius of roughly thirty feet. This allows her to operate in the dark, to sense material but invisible objects and creatures, and to avoid being flanked unless she’s being attacked by at least three opponents.
- Initial Wealth Level of Affluent (6 CP): Yuki’s weapons and armor are treated as being Masterwork, she can use five Charms and two Talismans, she gains +1 SP/Level, and she has a permanent +2 wealth bonus to Speak Language and Ride. She can afford exotic imported pets and fine steeds, and may have some employees or slaves if she so desires. Wealth Levels can be found in The Practical Enchanter.
- Bracers of Hurling: Gives anything she throws a range increment of 80′
- Ninja Scroll: Allows her Ninja Mastery ability to produce strong second level effects up to three times per day.
- Contraceptive Charm: The user will not become pregnant.
- Elfin Cloak: +4 to Hide, +7 if in natural surroundings or holding still, +10 if both apply.
- Foothold Boots: Provide a momentary disk of force under the user’s feet three times an hour.
- Glittering Disk: Casts Hypnotism three times per day, but will not work in combat.
- Seeing Crystal: May attempt to Scry, or “place calls”, up to twice per day.
Relic/The Sword of Yoshima (4 CP):
The Sword of Yoshima was forged from a fragment of cosmic, living, flame. When unsheathed, it glows with a blue-white flaming corona. Unfortunately, the sword is a most unsubtle relic; it radiates raw power when unsheathed, attracts creatures who will desire to possess it, and must be drawn to be used – making stealth near-impossible. Still, that at least counts as a Corruption on it’s powers.
- Reflex Training/Combat Reflexes Variant, Specialized/only with the Sword of Yoshima (2 CP). Yuki gets up to seven Attacks of Opportunity when wielding the blade.
- Grant of Aid with +4 Bonus Uses (8 CP).
- 1d6 (6) Mana with the Spell Enhancement option (4 CP).
- Augment Attack: The blade inflicts +3d6 damage versus Undead (6 CP).
- Opportunist: When the user is surrounded by multiple targets, slashes at one, and hits, he or she may spend two AoO to continue the slash to hit the next target. This can continue as long as he or she keeps hitting and has enough AoO left (4 CP).
At a total cost of 24 CP, the Sword of Yoshima is a 4 CP relic.
Skills (17 CP).
- Skill Points: 17 (CP Spent) +16 (Racial Bonus) +16 (Fast Learner) +24 (8 x Int Mod) +5 (Wealth) = 78
- All Skills: +2 Luck, +2 Morale, +4 Competence, +2 Aid
|Decipher Script (Int)#||2||+2||+3||+10||+15|
|Disable Device (Int)#||7||+7||+3||+10||+20|
|Escape Artist (Dex)||2||+2||+6||+10||+18|
|Gather Info. (Cha)||0||+0||-1||+10||+9|
|Handle Animal (Cha)#||0||+0||-1||+10|
|Hide (Dex)||4*||+8||+6||+10 +7M||+31|
|Jump (Str)||0||+0||+1||+10 +2Sy||+13|
|The Planes||2||+2||+3||+10 +1R||+16|
|Listen (Wis)||4||+4||+0||+10 +2F||+16|
|Move Silently (Dex)||4*||+8||+6||+10||+24|
|Open Lock (Dex)||4||+4||+6||+10||+20|
|Ride (Dex)||0||+0||+6||+10 +2W||+18|
|Sense Motive (Wis)||0||+0||+0||+10||+10|
|Slight of Hand (Dex)#||8||+8||+6||+10||+24|
|Speak Language||0||+0||+3||+10 +2W||+15|
|Spot (Wis)||3||+3||+0||+10 +5F||+18|
|Use Magic Dev. (Cha)#||1||+1||-1||+10||+10|
|Use Rope (Dex)||0||+0||+6||+10||+16|
- Yuki originally possessed the power to travel to and from several mystic dimensions. On Atheria, this will not function – both due to a lack of those dimensions and due to the general problems of inter-dimensional travel – and so doesn’t cost her anything.
- Yuki’s blood possesses magically binding properties. This is, however, not an active power – it’s a justification for purchasing things like companions and mystical links. Again, there’s no cost for making excuses for power-purchases.
- In her original dimension, Yuki had some special privileges to do with the Egyptian Gods. She doesn’t have those in Atheria however, since those gods aren’t active there. Yet again, no cost. If she ever gets back to where those bonuses are relevant, she’ll want to buy a privilege to represent them.
- I have not yet – pending input from the player – specified her martial art. In Champions, she was a generic martial artist. She has that in this build, but Eclipse martial arts tend to be fairly specific.
- Eclipse d20 – Playing Half-Dragons and High-ECL Races (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse d20 – Darius Metaxis, Level Ten Siege Engineer (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse d20 – Rahne Diende (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse d20 – The Children’s Crusade, Part I (ruscumag.wordpress.com)