Most people didn’t see them, even when they danced on unseen strings.
The confused dead, vagrant storms of stray emotion, poltergeistic clumps of psychic power, drifted through the doors of open minds to swirl and dance, to whisper and grow, within their chambers – provoking strange fancies, curious thoughts, and occasional fits of madness.
Then men and women awakened from trances and fits of rage, hands dripping blood – literal or figurative – to stand over beloved corpses, whether of ambition, friendship, or once-living flesh.
And the myndworms fed, and bloated, and bred, growing fat on blighted lives.
Young Anatolia (“Break of Day”) could deal with them handily. Her psychic talents were not all that strong – but against targets that were literally mere wisps of stray thought, most without true life or volition of their own, they more than sufficed. She embarked on a career as an psychic detective and exorcist – solving mysteries, cleansing minds, and preventing tragedies.
Then what she had thought was just another stray vortex of thought, to be driven from it’s maddened host and dissipated, turned out to be something far, far, worse – a true demon, even if a minor one. Cast forth from it’s victims mind, it was unleashed rather than destroyed. Anatolia only survived the demons emergence because the creature found it amusing to let her live to witness the carnage she’d unleashed.
Over the next three weeks it slaughtered nearly thirty people, leaving a trail of clues that left Anatolia always a step behind – and taking the blame for a string of horrific murders.
The demon finally ran into Etrius the Lightbearer – an experienced demonslayer and channeler of considerable power – who blasted it back to the depths from whence it had come and spirited Anatolia away from the authorities. Anatolia had found an experienced teacher at last, and took up the study of the deeper mysteries of channeling.
Wiser, sadder, and with a new identity, Anatolia has now dispatched several minor demonic entities – and knows when to run from the greater ones.
Fourth Level Modern-Setting Demonslayer
Racial Package: Standard Human
Available Character Points: 144 (L5 Base) +10 (Duties; Cast out and/or destroy psychic entities, demons, and undead) +10 (Disadvantages: Hunted/Minor Demons, Secret/Suspected Serial Killer, and Valuable/Reward Offered), +5 (Restriction/May not ever cast spells; her psychic powers are partially fueled by her belief that the price of magic is far too high), +5 (Restriction, may not use magic items, although she may use Siddhisyoga; she feels that too much reliance on gear is potentially self-crippling), +24 (Human, L1, L2, L4 Bonus Feats) = 198
Basic Abilities (4D6K3): Str 13 (14), Int 11, Wis 14 (16), Con 17 (18), Dex 15 (16), Chr 17 (18 with L4 +1) (20).
Languages: English (R/W Native), Latin (Sp/R/W), Spanish (Sp).
Basic Abilities (114 CP):
- Hit Points: 12 (L1d12, 8 CP) +4 +2 +3 +3 (L2-5d10, 24CP) + 20 (5 x Con Mod) = 44
- Skill Points: 28 (Human Fast Learner) + 22 (Purchased) = 50
- BAB: +4 (24 CP).
- Fortitude: +2 (Purchased, 6 CP) +4 (Con) = +6
- Reflex: +2 (Purchased, 6 CP) +3 (Dex) = +5
- Will: +4 (Purchased, 12 CP) +2 (Wis) = +6
- Proficiencies: All Simple and Martial Weapons and Light Armor (12 CP).
- Initiative: +3
- Move: 30′
- Armor Class: 10 (Base) +3 (Dex) +3 (Martial Art) +3 (Undercover Vest) +4 (Shield) = 23
- Glock 20, +7 (+3 BAB +3 Dex +1 Masterwork), 2d6, Crit 20/x2, Range Increment 40′, 15 Rounds, Small, 3 Lb.
- Longsword (Katana Styling), +6 (+3 BAB +2 Str +1 Masterwork), 1d8+2 (Str), Crit 19-20/x2
Special Abilities (84 CP):
- Siddhisyoga, Specialized for Double Effect/The user cannot use normal magic items other than potions, Corrupted/May only take personal effects – no magic missile, etcetera. Her powers increase as she makes anonymous donations to various charities (4 CP). Currently she’s donated 8000 GP of her 9000 GP allowance – gaining +1 each to Str, Con, and Dex (2100), +2 each to Wis and Chr (2800), Shield (2000 GP), Protection From Evil 2/Day (800 GP). Sadly, all of these are at caster level one and personal only.
- Celestial Wrath (Positive Energy Channeling): Channeling with (3 + 4 x Cha Mod) daily uses (27 CP) at +6 Intensity (12 CP) and +3d6 Magnitude (9 CP). Advanced Abilities: Censure (may affect Evil Outsiders, 6 CP), Divine Command (Briefly animate objects, 6 CP), Damaging (cause damage instead of all-or-nothing turning, 6 CP), and Glorious Touch/Empower (Grant a weapon or suit of armor temporary pluses and special functions, 6 CP).
The entire Celestial Wrath package is Specialized for half cost (36 CP); the user must have no friendly dealings with evil outsiders, must assist freely when people are troubled by evil outsiders, may never use negative energy, and must pursue reports of undead and evil outsiders and deal with them. Yes, this means that this is one of those characters who does not have a life.
- Witchcraft, I, II, III (18 CP), +3d6 Power (6 CP), Dismissal (6 CP), Leaping Fire (6 CP), Ridden by the Loa I, II, and III, Corrupted/cannot channel evil forces (12 CP). Pacts of Missions (for the Celestial Powers, -6 CP), Duties (rescuing people from evil cults, -6 CP), and Possession (the celestial powers can occasionally take direct control of her, often to volunteer her form some “important mission”, -6 CP). Net: 30 CP.
- Fast Learner (Skills, 6 CP), Upgrade Racial Fast Learner (2 CP). I’ll be generous and assume that both started as early as possible.
- Adept (Gather Information, Investigate, Knowledge/Theology and Philosophy, and Diplomacy, 6 CP).
- Skills: Computer Use +7, Diplomacy +12, Disable Device +10, Disguise +12, Drive +10, Gather Information +12, Investigate +7, Knowledge/Theology and Philosophy +7, Search+7.
- Speak Language/Latin, Read Language/Latin, Speak Language/Spanish (1 SP Each).
Anatolia is basically a modern-day paladin – a fairly heavy-duty fighter with several special powers useful against fiends and undead and the ability to enhance her weapons in a variety of ways. On the other hand, she will automatically get sucked into confrontations with demonic forces, undead, and various evil cults – all the while having to deal with the pursuit of the authorities. Overall, her life is going to be… complicated.
- Eclipse Monster Characters II – The Succubus (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Power Word: Recriminate (alzrius.wordpress.com)
- A Legendary Burnout from Intelligence Check (alzrius.wordpress.com)
- More Eclipse Builds by Christopher West (ruscumag.wordpress.com)