Tomonoko (“Tomo”) Sayuki
Power Armor Superhero, Atheria Campaign.
Tomonoko hails from an anime universe, where she was fortunate (?) enough to pick up a suit of powered battle armor – and promptly used it to start getting into trouble. Being hurled across the multiverse by an opponents “Dimensional Vortex Projector”, and being exposed to the wild dimensional energies which have replaced her previous humanity with the Atherian Dragon-Born “race”, has not improved her mood.
As a power-armor superhero, Tomonoko is incredibly hard to hurt physically, has a couple of big, accurate, attacks, and is quite mobile – just as long as she’s wearing her power armor and nothing goes wrong with it. Outside of that, she has some modest psychic abilities – which are about her only source of versatility. Thus, like most extreme specialists, Tomo is fabulously good at what she does – and fairly useless otherwise. Getting into a toe-to-toe slugfest with her is asking for it. Taking her down with curses, paralysis, slow effects, by destroying her armor, or otherwise going around her strengths, is relatively easy.
Despite the fact that I usually recommend against building characters like this – since they’re dull both in their speciality (in which they virtually cannot lose, and so have few interesting decisions to make) and out of it (where they have virtually nothing to do) – they’re a common request. Ergo here’s Tomo as a character for the would-be player and as a good obstacle or villain for everyone else.
Race: Dragon-Born (+0 ECL):
- Get one Bonus “Feat” worth 6 CP (6 CP).
- Have Fast Learner (6 CP) for +1 CP/Level. In Tomo’s case this is Specialized in purchasing the Wilder progression (without a Base Caster Level and without any powers) giving her the Power reserve of a wilder of equal level even without expending any further points, but no natural abilities.
- Gain +12 CP worth of Innate Enchantment(s). Fortunately, on Atheria, where “experience points” do not exist, there’s no experience point cost on Innate Enchantments. Tomo’s natural abilities include:
- Shield II (Reduced to L1 via Blood of the Dragon, 2000 GP): +6 Shield Bonus to AC, immunity to Magic Missiles.
- Heroism (L2, reduced to L1 via the Blood of the Dragon, 1400 GP): +2 Morale bonus to attacks, checks, damage, and saves.
- Personal Haste (from The Practical Enchanter, 2000 GP): +30′ Move, +1 attack at full BAB when making a full attack.
- Enhance Attribute x4/+2 to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and Intelligence (5600 GP).
- Gain Immunity/Natural Law/The restriction of Innate Enchantments to 12 CP in total (Common / Major / Minor [may exceed the normal limits on Innate Enchantment by up to 12 CP], 6 CP).
- Gain the benefits of the Universal Birthright, at least as long as they’re on Atheria.
- Gain a +1 Bonus to Knowledge/Planes (1 CP)
- If it comes up, the child of a Dragon-Born mother normally takes on the Birthright of the place where it was conceived.
Available Character Points: 192 (Level Seven Base) +14 (Duties: Protection of the Innocent) +30 (L1, L2, L4, L6 and Racial Bonus Feats) = 236 CP.
Basic Attributes: Str 18 (34), Dex 17 (23), Con 14 (16), Int 16 (18), Wis 14, Chr 12 (10).
Level-Based Bonuses: +1 Dex, +1 Int, +1 Str
Basic Abilities (99 CP):
- Hit Points: 10 (L1d10, 6 CP) +27 (L2-7 d6, 12 CP) +21 (7 x Con Mod) +21 (Armor) = 79 HP
- Universal DR 29/- (the base damage of a critical hit is only reduced by five however).
- BAB +7 (42 CP)
- Fortitude: +3 (Purchased, 9 CP) +3 (Con) +2 (Morale) = +8
- Reflex: +3 (Purchased, 9 CP) +6 (Dex) +2 (Morale) = +11
- Will: +3 (Purchased, 9 CP) +2 (Wis) +2 (Morale) = +7
- Proficient with All Simple and Martial Weapons and Light Armor (12 CP)
- Combat Information:
- Initiative: +6 (Dex)
- Movement: 80′, with limited “flight” – may make incredible leaps, run up walls, takes no damage from falling, and make minor maneuvers while leaping.
- Armor Class: 10 (Base) +6 (Dex) +14 (Plate Armor + Wealth) +12 (Shield + Wealth) = 42
- Bolt: +28/+28/+23 (+7 BAB +6 Dex +6 Wealth +3 Magic +4 Martial Art +2 Morale, Personal Haste), 3d8+23 (+12 Str +6 Wealth +3 Magic +2 Morale) +1d8 Flame, Adamant, Crit 17-20/x2, 240′ Range Increment.
- Monowhip: +34/+34/+29 (+7 BAB +12 Str +6 Wealth +3 Magic +4 Martial Art +2 Morale, Personal Haste), 3d8+23 (+12 Str +6 Wealth +3 Magic +2 Morale) +1d8 Flame, Crit 17-20/x2, Adamant, Combat Reflexes.
- Power Reserve 88 (Wilder 7 from Fast Learner +6 CP to get it to 10) + 34 (Witchcraft) = 122
- Witchcraft III with The Secret Order (24 CP). Save DC versus her powers is only 13.
Wealth Level (Wealthy, 12 CP), Specialized and Corrupted for Triple Effect / Does not provide legal privileges, bonuses to mounts, pets, or familiars, spending money, recognition, retainers, skill bonuses, or other incidental benefits and her Charms and Talismans are preset. It only functions while she is wearing her special armor.
- +6 Wealth AC Bonus to Shields and Armor, Reduces Armor Check Penalties by 6 and treats armor as three categories lighter (thus requiring only Light Armor Proficiency to run her powered battle armor).
- Charm and Talisman Effects (Tripled): Her armor:
- Keeps her comfortable in all natural environmental conditions and looks good at all times (All-weather Cloak).
- Provides basic computer and communications systems (Astrolabe).
- Provides a force field which keeps off bugs, smoke, acid, slimes, and similar annoyances and boosts her Universal Damage Reduction by +3/- (Bracers of Force)
- Can disguise itself as any normal clothing desired, as needed (Diplomatic Sash).
- Provides pure, breathable, air in hostile environments (Sealed Helm).
- Provides a +20 bonus to Hide (Elfin Cloak).
- Provides an endless supply of “darts” to throw (Conjurer’s Tattoo).
- Lets her hurl small items for up to 3d8 damage (Crit 19-20/x2) with a range increment of 240′ (Bracers of Hurling).
- Such items are considered +3, may also be used as melee weapons (Melee. As a special effect, this is her “monofilament whip”), gain a doubled threat range (Piercing), and Flaming (Rune Weapon, 1d8 instead of 1d6 thanks to her martial art and the desire for even sets of dice).
- Heavy Fortification (15 Charges to be spent as needed, regains 3/Week) (Helm of War).
- +6 SP (42 at the moment) and +3 HP per level.
- +6 Strength
- Her built-in weaponry and anything she throws gains +6 Wealth Bonuses and is considered made of Adamantine and any two other materials as desired.
This is impressively cheesy – especially since it can only work in settings where you’re “buying” a wealth level and where the game master is crazy enough to let you get away with increasing its effect. In fact, even for an anime superhero, I think that this is all the cheese that I’m willing to allow this particular character. Everything else is just going to have to be bought simply and directly.
Anime-Style Power Battle Armor (70 CP).
All these abilities are Specialized: they only work when Tomo is wearing customized heavy armor and occasionally malfunction. Up to three times per session the game master is entitled to roll for a 1d4 round suit failure… (1) Power. Everything but the basic DR shuts down, (2) Sensors. Blind and dear. (3) Exoskeleton. No movement. (4) Weapons, (5) Force Field. The suits DR goes out. (6) Malfunction. The suit may move or fire at random or injure the wearer, (7-20): No malfunction.
- Universal Damage Reduction 8/- (24/-), Corrupted/The base damage of a critical hit always gets through. (24 CP).
- +8 Strength (24 CP).
- +4 Dexterity (12 CP).
- Celerity/+20′ Move (6 CP)
- Celerity/add Flight movement, Corrupted/only to allow midair maneuvers, break falls, and make impossible leaps (4 CP).
There. Incredibly tough and strong with enhanced movement. What else could you ask for?
Oh yes. This: Enhanced Strike/Crushing (6 CP).
Skill Points: 19 (CP Spent) +30 (Int) +42 (Armor).
- Armor Skills (43): Balance +18 (10 SP +6 Dex +2 Morale), Climb +24 (10 SP +12 Str +2 Morale), Crushing Dominance Martial Art +24 (10 SP +12 Str +2 Morale), Jump +34 (0 SP +12 Str +20 Move +2 Morale), Swim +16 (2 SP +12 Str +2 Morale), and Tumble +18 (10 SP +6 Dex +2 Morale).
- Personal Skills (39): The player will just have to pick these himself.
Power Armor Martial Art: Crushing Dominance Style (Str)
This is a pure, power-armor, style – designed to take full advantage of the overwhelming strength and defenses (and any built-in weaponry) provided by powered battle armor.
- Requirements: Powered Battle Armor and Str 24+ while wearing it.
- Basic Abilities: Attack 4, Defenses 4, Power 1, Strike, Toughness 3.
- Advanced and Master Techniques: Breaking, Instant Stand, Prone Combat, and Combat Reflexes.
- Occult Techniques: None.
- Techniques Known (11): Attack 4, Power 1, Toughness 2, Breaking, Instant Stand, Prone Combat, and Combat Reflexes.
- Melinissa, Level Two Children’s Crusade Child Dybbuk (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Tamlin Cooper, Child Shaman (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Eclipse Pathfinder – The Sorcerer (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Atherian Package Deals, Part I (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Yuki Tendo – L5 to L7 Update from Emergence Campaign Weblog (ruscumag.wordpress.com)