Level Eleven Dragon Empire Shapeshifter, Federation-Apocalypse Campaign
Conley was a very angry young man… Why should the dragons lord it over everyone else when technology could virtually level the playing field and they were far outnumbered by the other races? Why build clunky ships instead of expanding the teleportation gate network? Why was EVERYONE so stupidly accepting of things the way they were? Of self-contradictory religious myths, of bad government, of disorganized archives, of the ten thousand irrationalities he could see on every side!
Change WAS possible! Less than a decade ago, a wave of transformation had swept over the Dragon Empire and had left the place strewn with anthropomorphs and talking animals – and even if the pattern of life in the Empire had promptly settled back into familiar patterns, the changes were there…
Exploiting and developing his knack for shapeshifting to the fullest, Conley flowed through the Dragon Empire, playing roles in amidst a dozen races, absorbing skills and information from the very aether like a sponge, and often attempting to shake those around him out of their staid acceptance of the status quo.
There WERE a few other forces for change in the Dragon Empire – this “Ailill”, a few parties of adventurers, the slowly-expanding imperial gate network, and occasional oddities like himself – but they were so few – and the forces of the Empire and the Twelve Gods were so strong…
It wasn’t long before he drew the attention of the secret police, even if it took them some time for them to close in on their protean quarry.
They were waiting for him when he emerged from one of the interplantary gates – but they weren’t prepared for him to step back into the gate and join his energies to its to jump out of the Dragon Empire entirely into a far stranger plane.
“Pureblooded” Human (31 CP / +0 ECL):
- Fast Learner/Specialized in Skills: +2 SP/Level (6 CP).
- +4 Intelligence (Normally 24 CP, reduced to 12 CP by world laws). In worlds without the half-price modifier on Attribute Upgrades, reduce the racial attribute bonuses to +2 Intelligence and add a Bonus Feat.
- +2 to any one attribute other than Intelligence (normally 12 CP, reduced to 6 CP by world laws).
- Immunity/Aging (uncommon/minor/minor, 2 CP). They can expect to live for several centuries without much of any signs of aging.
- Grant of Aid/Specialized (requires several hours): May heal 1d8+5 damage OR 1d3 points of attribute damage OR one negative level once per three levels per day or part thereof, 3 CP), with the Regenerative option/Corrupted (requires lots of food and rest, 2 CP), allowing them to slowly regrow lost limbs and organs.
Package Deal: None – as yet.
Available Character Points: 288 (level eleven base) +22 Duties (self-imposed obligation to help people in general throw off the assumptions and false beliefs that are holding them back) +10 Disadvantages (Compulsive/argumentative and stubborn), Irreverent, and Outcast/annoys religious realms) +24 (L1, 3, 6, and 9 bonus feats) = 344 CP.
- Basic Attributes: Str 12 (18, Provides DR 4/- under local world laws), Dex 18, Con 14 (18), Int 22 (28), Wis 20 (26), Chr 14 (20).
- Racial Option: +2 Wis
- Level Bonuses: +1 Int (L4) and +1 Wis (L8).
- Purchased: +4 Dexterity (24 CP).
- Usual Modifiers: Hybrid Shapeshifter Young Bronze or Silver Dragon.
- Attributes: Str +6, Con +4, Int +6, Wis +6, Cha +6. 1d6 Natural Weapons, Immunity to Sleep and Paralysis effects, 60′ Blindsense, 120′ Darkvision, and Low-Light Vision, Speed 40′.
- Bronze Special: 6d6 Lightning Blast, Repulsion Blast, Immunity to Electricity, Water Breathing, Speak with Animals, +11 Natural Armor, Alternate Form. Swim 60′
- Silver Special: 6d8 Cone of Cold, Cone of Paralysis (1d6+3 Rounds), Immunity to Acid and Cold, Cloudwalking, Vulnerability to Fire, +12 Natural Armor, and Alternate Form.
Combat Information (116 CP):
- Fortitude: +4 (12 CP) + 2 (Con) = +6
- Reflex: +4 (12 CP) +4 (Dex) = +8
- Will: +4 (12 CP) + 8 (Wis) = +12
- Hit Dice: L1 d20 (16 CP) +2d4 Bonus Hit Dice (16 CP, 8), L2-11 d8 (40 CP, 8, 6, 3, 8, 5, 4, 6, 5, 4, 5) +52 (13 x Con Mod) = 134 HP (+30 Smartclothes)
- Proficiencies: All Simple and Martial Weapons and Small Arms (12 CP, -8 from Dex per world laws = 8 CP).
- Move: 40 Base + 10 Exoskeleton = 50
- Initiative: +4 (Dex),
- BAB: +0 (0 CP)
- Armor Class: 10 (Base) + 4 (Dex) + 8 (Wis, per world rules) + 4 (Military Smartclothes) +11 (Natural) +4 (Martial Art) = 41 (and DR 8 due to Smartclothes, AC 45 and DR 14- vrs physical attacks due to heavy effector module).
Conley does carry a plasma pistol, but he mostly uses it as a tool. At the moment, he’s entirely too used to relying purely on magic in combat.
- Shapeshifting, all Corrupted/automatically fails any saving throws required while shapeshifting and takes double damage from any attack which is made while he’s “between” forms. If he’s confused, feebleminded, or otherwise mentally incapacitated while in an alternate form, it’s instincts tend to take over and can strongly influence him at other times. 90 CP.
- Shapeshift (6 CP), with +20 Bonus Uses (30 CP), with the Enchanted Draconic (12 CP), Enchanted Elemental (9 CP), Enchanted Beasts (9 CP), and Dire (3 CP) modifiers. Growth (3 CP), Shrinking (3 CP), Attribute Modifiers (6 CP), Hybrid II (12 CP), Clear Speech (+6 CP), Immunity to the limitation that Hybrid can usually only me taken once (Common, Minor, Great, 12 CP; this allows him to keep his “Dragon” modifiers while using special abilities from other types of creatures, such as elemental beings rather than recalculating all the time), Variants (+3 CP), Exemption (+3 CP), Inanimate (+12 CP), and Natural Magic (+6 CP). (135 CP in total, 90 CP after Corruption).
- Path of the Dragon/Shaping, with Pulse of the Dragon II and Heart of the Dragon III, both Specialized and Corrupted for Triple Effect (spell effects of up to level six): only effects which enhance shapeshifting or are closely related to his current form) (66 CP).
- This normally works fairly simply: Conley can add attributes from two of the other forms he can take to his body and use spells of up to level six at an effective caster level of eleven to enhance his shapeshifting or to produce effects appropriate to his forms. He usually maintains a set of draconic enhancements – simply because dracoforms offer the best available bonuses – and an elemental form, such as a Genie or Efreet. That gives him substantial physical and magical powers to play with, even if it does make him look a bit odd; there’s only so much that his “Variations” power can cover up.
- Reflex Training, Three Actions Per Day Variant (6 CP).
- This save-my-neck ability lets Conley take a standard action out of the normal initiative order, as needed, three times per day.
- Mystic Artist/Oratory (6 CP): Conley can use his oratorical powers up to (Level) times daily, and has the abilities of Fascinate (DC 17), Hold Audience (DC 18), Emotional Auras (DC 21), Freedom (breaks enchantments), and Mass Suggestion (11 Targets, DC 27) from the Manipulation list and Block (disrupts sonic and oratorical attacks), Group Focus (helps others concentrate), Harmonize (lets you combine two other powers), Serenity (acts as a nights rest once per week), and Rule the Horde (calms and Suggests to everyone in a 30′ radius, DC 27) from the Synergy list.
- 6d6 (27) Mana with the Reality Editing Option, Specialized and Corrupted/no conscious control (12 CP)
- Reality occasionally warps a bit around Conley, and gates unexpectedly open for him. Sadly, as yet, he has no real control over this.
- Augmented Bonus: Conley adds his (Wis Mod) to his (Int Mod) when calculating the bases for Int-based skills (6 CP).
- Fast Learner, Specialized in Skills for +2 SP/Level (6 CP).
Total Skill Points: 12 (CP Spent) +28 (Racial Bonus) +78 (Int, 5 x 6 + 6 x 8) +28 (Fast Learner) = 146.
- Physical Skills: Acrobatics +21 (6 SP +4 Dex +2 Synergy), Stealth +19 (6 SP +4 Dex), Rifle Expertise Martial Art +15 (2 SP +4 Dex), Wind Dance Martial Art +27 (14 SP +4 Dex).
- Perception Skills: Spot +25 (4 SP +4 Gear), Listen +22 (1 SP +4 Gear)
- Knowledge Skills (all at +27): Alchemy, Anatomy, Anthropology, Archaeology, Architecture, Astronomy, Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Computers, Cosmology, Electronics, Elementals and Elemental Beings, Genetics, Evolution, History, Magic Theory, Magitech, Mathematics, Mechanics, Medicine, Military History, Mythology, Nuclear Physics, Organic Chemistry, Paleobiology, Pharmacology, Philosophy, Physics, Physiology, Politics, Psionics, Psychology, Quantum Mechanics, Robotics, Sociology, Strategy and Tactics, Theology, and Zoology (1 SP each, for 39 SP).
- Other Skills: Disable Device +25 (12 SP +4 Dex), Disguise +15 (1 SP +5 Cha), First Aid +18 (1 SP +8 Wis), Gather Information +15 (1 SP +5 Cha), Oratory +28 (14 SP +5 Cha), Soldier +18 (1 SP +8 Wis), Research +27 (1 SP +9 Int +8 Wis), Search +30 (4 SP +9 Int +8 Wis), Security Systems +25 (12 SP +4 Dex), Survival/Wilderness +31 (14 SP +8 Wis), Writing +27 (1 SP +9 Int +8 Wis).
- Physical Skills: Climb +19 (1 Sp +4 Str), Jump +19 (1 Sp +4 Str), Skydancing +19 (1 SP +4 Dex).
- Knowledge Skills (all at +32 Base): The Dragon Empire, Evolutionary Psychology, Hydraulics, Metallurgy, Power Systems, Weapons of the Dragon Empire (1 SP each, for 6 SP).
- Other Skills: Acting +20 (1 SP +5 Cha), Card Games +32 (1 SP +9 Int +8 Wis), Forgery +32 (1 SP +9 Int +8 Wis), and Formal Debate +32 (1 SP +9 Int +8 Wis).
Wind Dance Techniques Known (14): Defense 4, Strike, Synergy/+2 Acrobatics, Mind Like Moon (allows a save versus surprise), Instant Stand, Whirlwind Strike, Deflect Arrows, Inner Strength (lets him use Vanishing and Light Foot once in awhile without depleting his personal reserves), Vanishing (lets you move almost instantaneously – very rarely), and Light Foot (boost movement and allows water walking, but no more than once or twice a day).
Conley is a minor atrocity of power, thanks to his grotesque exploitation of Shapeshifting – but in the Federation-Apocalypse setting, where hand-held nuclear military weapons are available, and much of the combat is starfleet-to-starfleet, this is pretty much expected.
- Eclipse d20 – Playing Half-Dragons and High-ECL Races (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- d20 Dreamspawn – Sevarangin (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Yuki Tendo – Champions to Eclipse d20 (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Federation-Apocalypse Session 153b – Baring The Imperial Fangs (ruscumag.wordpress.com)
- Federation-Apocalypse Session 153a – Crimson Empire (ruscumag.wordpress.com)